What's new
What's new

Educate me on modular boring heads

Captdave

Titanium
Have some production parts from 6061 material and need to open up the holes after a 1.75" drill. 2.700" +/-.005" with a 32 finish if possible going 2.5" deep.

Been looking at Kaiser and some other brands but having trouble finding the right connection type/style for cat 40 through coolant holders.

Never used these "modular style" type tools in milling so not sure what is a good system or not.

You may want to emphasize vibration control to make sure you don't have chatter, but some say that modular systems are inherently more resistant due to the multiple connection points acting as dampers.

I think Kaiser is generally regarded as a very good tooling manufacturer, if expensive. It might be worth getting a tooling engineer involved with your system purchase, and get them to include a performance guarantee that will have them take back the product if it fails to cut as it should.

Kennametal also makes such tooling, but might be more time lag and expense than Kaiser.

Modular Tooling

We use ITS-Bore and have been sufficiently happy.

Can you use a 5/8 or 3/4 neck relieved cutter and just helical bore these? You could go straight from the Ø1.75 to your Ø2.7 in one shot and still be fine on finish and size on any decent machine.

Didn't take in that it was only 2.5" deep (assumed deeper when modular tooling mentioned), for that depth I'd use a regular Criterion (or other decent quality) boring head and bar, after roughing out to ~.010 remaining with an endmill.

Feed in and orient, move away from the wall, withdraw, or just feed out.

You say "deep" as opposed to "through", so this is a blind hole?

If not - this attachment is the cat's assets!

Boring Head Attachment - 2.. Criterion, CNC, Toolmakers | eBay

I have one for the 2" head and also the 3" head!
Sliced bread has competition!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Those things look like the cat's meow..............I have a repeat job that's comin up............I'll have to buy one.

Have some production parts from 6061 material and need to open up the holes after a 1.75" drill. 2.700" +/-.005" with a 32 finish if possible going 2.5" deep.

Been looking at Kaiser and some other brands but having trouble finding the right connection type/style for cat 40 through coolant holders.

Never used these "modular style" type tools in milling so not sure what is a good system or not.
best thing about modular is you can remove extensions on unneeded tool length that is causing vibration problems. tool length to dia ratio is probably the most important limiting factor

You want modular? I got one word for you.

CAPTO

length to dia ratio, doesnt matter if only going .010" deep into part its how long the tool sticking out of spindle to tool holder dia ratio
can have 1000 parts with shallow depths and need a long tool holder to reach. can be big problems with 16 to 24" long boring bars. bad vibration finish is a understatement of difficulties
majority of horizontal cnc with 40x40" or bigger pallets you normally have to reach close to center of pallet somehow if part in center of pallet, obviously if on a chimney or tombstone you can have part further away from pallet center

Drillin 1.75"Ø and finishing at 2.7"Ø? 1/2" per side borin? I assume you would open that up a little more with.................? And then finish bore?

D'Andrea all the way. The MHD modular system is pretty versatile and common enough that adapters to most other systems exist. I also like the Sandvik and Kaiser boring systems and have some of those, but the D'Andrea range is the most comprehensive, and that's what I use the most. The boring heads themselves are as good or better than anything else out there. The D'Andrea MHD system and TRM boring heads are also licensed to Iscar under their ITS-Bore brand, as such the two are interchangeable.

While I have some MHD extensions I mainly use MHD to capto adapters as I have a large amount of capto backends and extensions. They work together nicely as they have the same diameter steps, although the MHD system has a bigger range of diameters vs capto. The MHD cross-size adapters are much neater than capto equivalents also.

I will say that I don't use MHD system for anything other than boring, even though it covers the whole range of milling interfaces. Capto is the better system generally and I'm already invested in it, so I stick with that.

Drillin 1.75"Ø and finishing at 2.7"Ø? 1/2" per side borin? I assume you would open that up a little more with.................? And then finish bore?

he could easily circular mill with 1" dia or bigger end mill but the finish will probably be not good enough. most mill to -.020 and finish with boring bar

There's also Pinzbohr, which is sold by Techniks/Walter/Waukesha in the US, I like mine but don't know if they have through coolant provisions.

For a single bore diamater on a repeat job I go to a Sandvik boring bar or head with a micro set cartridge bought off Ebay and dedicated to that job forever, and keep the modular stuff for one time jobs.

We use ITS-Bore and have been sufficiently happy.

Can you use a 5/8 or 3/4 neck relieved cutter and just helical bore these? You could go straight from the Ø1.75 to your Ø2.7 in one shot and still be fine on finish and size on any decent machine.

Yes, that is the way we have been doing it for some time now, the down side is with 10 parts on the table the chip cleaning just to change out the parts is takings 3-4 minutes per cycle.

Back