What's new
What's new

Electronics that break

Arclight

Aluminum
I have a sideline rebuilding PCBs for traffic control equipment. When we get boards from a customer that can be fixed/upgraded, it saves them a lot of money and is profitable for us if there is a somewhat steady stream of business.

Does anyone know if there is a CNC or other machine that has a module or board known for breaking and being expensive to fix? I'm looking to offer some other rebuild services.

Since the vendors don't particularly like other people making money, I usually have to invest a good bit of time into reverse-engineering the board and coming up with a test/repair procedure and sometimes a custom power board or similar upgrade kit. So one-offs aren't great for us, unless it's pretty high-dollar.

In short, I'm looking for some problems that need solving! Old is fine, as long as there is some volume out there.
P1041097.jpg
P1111167.jpg

We also put together obsolete PCs, cables, etc. on occasion for programmers/controllers:
P6220542.jpg

Cheers,

John

Mazak built an I/O box for loading programs from floppies onto their lathes. I know a lot of people who would like to be able to repair them , but cant find anyone to do it.

anything that has a power supply, just fixed my DRO on my manual mill that popped a couple and works perfectly.
with electronics, its not if, its just when it lets the magic smoke out.

ive seen lots of welders with blown up controller boards also that are $1000 to replace.

Mazak QT lathe power supplies. Lots of solid machines still working. But the spindle drive power supplies need love. The power supplies that sell on eBay claim to be "used / tested", but often come DOA. We have rebuilt a couple just by putting new capacitors in. Used power supplies on ebay are now around $300. I think you could sell more than a few if you had actual tested with new capacitors and could offer next day air shipping. Sucks to wait weeks because an ebay seller in NJ is actually shipping from China.

Mazak QT lathe power supplies. Lots of solid machines still working. But the spindle drive power supplies need love. The power supplies that sell on eBay claim to be "used / tested", but often come DOA. We have rebuilt a couple just by putting new capacitors in. Used power supplies on ebay are now around $300. I think you could sell more than a few if you had actual tested with new capacitors and could offer next day air shipping. Sucks to wait weeks because an ebay seller in NJ is actually shipping from China.

If someone has a pile of dead ones, I would be willing to sift through and build you a working one if I can keep the junk ones.

Not CNC Related, but look into the Smart Start boxes for the surplus military humvees. Small board inside, but no idea what goes wrong with them. You could probably run a full time business repairing or swapping them. New ones are about $700 and there is a (VERY) finite supply of them out there.

Back