What's new
What's new

Ellison first of the year blowout on Lynx 2100LB

g-coder05

Titanium
I just got an email from Ellison with a blowout special on Lynx 2100LB. Seems a few weeks ago a member here was looking for a new lathe and was looking at a Haas but the add I got has the Lynx for $59K including:

• Barfeed interface
  • Programmable parts catcher
  • Tool setter
  • Rigid tapping
  • EZ Guide conversational
  • And 2 years parts and and control warranty

Comparing that to the same Haas looks like its about $20 grand cheaper....

IMG_0700 2.jpgIMG_0701.jpg

Thats a damn good deal. Not sure if it was me looking at Haas but the rep was in here last week. I wasnt looking to buy but needed to learn more about the process of buying one and the service and support.

I think Doosan is In NJ on the east coast. Quite a ways away from me so that is a little turn off. I do like the machines over Haas for sure. I dont hear bad things about them either.

Thanks for the info!

Doosan HQ is in Pine Brook, NJ. I used to work for them.
This is a stellar deal. You're getting a very high quality lathe, Fanuc control, drives, motors and electrics. EZ Guide i programming, macro B, full keyboard, rigid tap, programmable tail stock, G80 series cycles, and a great quality build on heavy castings. These are already blowing out of the warehouse fast. 2 year warranty, free training, and $45M in parts in stock in Pine Brook just in case. A winner.

Thats a damn good deal. Not sure if it was me looking at Haas but the rep was in here last week. I wasnt looking to buy but needed to learn more about the process of buying one and the service and support.

I think Doosan is In NJ on the east coast. Quite a ways away from me so that is a little turn off. I do like the machines over Haas for sure. I dont hear bad things about them either.

Thanks for the info!

I’m pretty sure Able machine sells Doosan out of Mass.

I have one of those. They're definitely a lot of bang for the $. There's a 2100LC also now with 3" bar capacity, the LB is 2.5".

Wow, I was considering an ST series from Haas but this thing will blow it out of the water!

Hmmm ... my Mori Seiki SL-2B just took a dump, alarm #35 whenever I rapid in Z.

The 2100LB is practically the same footprint as my SL-2B, but more HP and a tailstock. And faster. Much faster.

If only I had steady lathe work. I've been running 85% mill 15% lathe for awhile now.

Regards.

Mike

Hmmm ... my Mori Seiki SL-2B just took a dump, alarm #35 whenever I rapid in Z.

The 2100LB is practically the same footprint as my SL-2B, but more HP and a tailstock. And faster. Much faster.

If only I had steady lathe work. I've been running 85% mill 15% lathe for awhile now.

Regards.

Mike

The Lynx is probably equivalent to a Mori SL15, same work envelope and linear rails, slower rapids

Agreed if I had more lathe work I'd be def interested

Thanks for the info!

I currently work for Doosan. The fact that we are in New jerseey should be irrelevant since our local dealers are the first in line for service and support. Able in Mass. are a top notch outfit as are all of our other dealers. Like Douglas said, we house our parts department in NJ as well as extended support for our customers and dealers.

Paul

I currently work for Doosan. The fact that we are in New jerseey should be irrelevant since our local dealers are the first in line for service and support. Able in Mass. are a top notch outfit as are all of our other dealers. Like Douglas said, we house our parts department in NJ as well as extended support for our customers and dealers.

Paul

That is a big load of crap ...

I had a Doosan DNM5700 and the vary first day it was installed the service tech was getting alarms from the VFD that ran the tool carousel and over the next couple months the dealer tried to fix it but the bottom line was the service tech told me that Doosan would not let him change the parameters in the VFD ,, I more think it was the service tech did not know how to fix it ,,, After a couple months of fighting the dealer and the alarms with the carousel the TSC pump stopped working and once more the dealer would send out the service guys and they would not get it fixed ,, this went on for months .

After months of crappy support from the local dealer and not getting the machine fixed I reached out to Doosan USA and talked to them a couple of times about there local dealer not getting the problems fixed and that it was clear that the local dealer was in over there head on fixing even simple repairs ,,, The only thing Doosan USA did was call up the manager of the local dealer and piss him off to the point he called and gave me crap about reaching out to Doosan for help ... still the dealer and Doosan USA did nothing to get the machine fixed ...
Shortly after that the machine started alarming out on tool changes do to the retaining fingers closing before the new tool could be loaded .. once more I had to call the local dealer and once more they sent out there service techs ( they only had two) to look at the problem and still do nothing to get it fixed ...

At that point it was 100% clear to me that if they could not even fix simple problems well the machine was under the warranty and they were having to pick up the cost ,, there was no way in hell I wanted to own the machine after warranty.

I made the dealer come and remove the machine and do a full refund .

Bottom line is the machine was nice but the local support from Ellison and the support I received from Doosan USA was just not there ..

I have posted about the problems before with Doosan and normally get a load of crap back from Doosan employees ,, All I have to say is please look up all the service records on S/N MV0091000335 then you well find out were I am coming from ..

I've heard a lot of good things about the Lynx, and had considered them. If I could buy a Doosan without dealing with Ellison, I would be interested.

Ellison support is/was terrible. I won't buy a Doosan because of it.

Might be a regional thing.

From what I am being told the local Ellison dealer here in seattle area is about gone under... its my understanding there down to two guys at this point and Ellison machinery as a company is not doing vary good,,, Back 25 years ago they were a great place to deal with ,, I got a Fadal and a Mori turning center from them back then and they had a great sales and service staff... Bottom line is they don`t pay there service guys good and when Mori left with the service manager from Ellison he hired all of there good techs at about a 50% raise ...

I thought when I ordered a dnm5700 mill and a 220lsyc lathe from them that the service would have been the same hi quality it had been for years .. boy was I wrong.

I have nothing bad to say about the Doosan machines but the support from there dealer was "CRAP" and Doosan USA did not step up to the plate and get it things fixed ,,

I spent close to a quarter of a million on two Doosan machines and they couldn't even fix a coolant pump.

Ellison in the NW started going to crap back in the late 80s by picking up Fadal and losing Okuma because of it. By the mid 90s their "techs" were just parts changers with no troubleshooting /diagnostic skills.

Ellison in the NW started going to crap back in the late 80s by picking up Fadal and losing Okuma because of it. By the mid 90s their "techs" were just parts changers with no troubleshooting /diagnostic skills.

I thought dealer techs are all in the parts changer category these days, the ones with the diagnostic skills are on their own or dead?

I thought dealer techs are all in the parts changer category these days, the ones with the diagnostic skills are on their own or dead?

I can't recall the last time I met a dealer tech that impressed me. I have run across a few at the builder level that were pretty darn good. Of course, all us old guys know that youngsters these days don't know squat and can't figure anything out ;) .

To be fair, the control side of a CNC has gotten more complex and miniaturization/consolidation of all the components makes troubleshooting harder.

Eh... Not sure I agree. DMG MORI's market share in Portland is way higher than any other region. I think that is almost entirely due to Ellison. Can't really speak to their performance in Seattle.

Eh... Not sure I agree. DMG MORI's market share in Portland is way higher than any other region. I think that is almost entirely due to Ellison. Can't really speak to their performance in Seattle.

Mori and later DMG Mori continued to sell in the NW due to the Mori reputation, not through the techs at Ellison's service capability. Mori developed their reputation in the Portland area by having an excellent product and through the efforts in the 70s of Yancey Machine Tool and in the 80s of Yamazen, the importer, sales, and service company for Mori in those years.

How about this; do you know a better machine tool dealer in the area?

I worked as an applications engineer at DMG MORI after the split. In the entire US, any time I met an AE with outstanding knowledge or ability, there were better than 50% odds that individual came from Ellison. On the service engineer side, it was even more stacked with former Ellison folks.

A huge percentage of sales these days requires engineering support, automation, etc, and I think Ellison is (or at least was) the only distributor in the area that could handle that without having it all done by the OEM.

Unfortunately no. That's kind of why I said in post 16 that I can't think of the last time a dealer tech even began to impress me.

Having been retired for a bit over 6 years, my exposure to current dealer techs is zero. Maybe things have gotten better. One could only hope.

Back