What's new
What's new

Emco Turn service in southern Califonia

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I am looking at adding an Emco Turn live tool lathe to my shop, it is an older machine but is in running/working condition. There is a 21iT Fanuc control on the machine. I wanted to reach out and see if there is service readily available in Southern California. I do NOT want to go through the same issue as I went through with my ECOCA lathe fiasco, in which in the near 6 years I have owned the machine it has never worked due to the lack of service for the machine. Does anyone have any feedback or advice on the Emco Turn?

Getting the Fanuc control serviced in So Cal is not a problem, Fanuc is located in Lake Forest, and there are some very good independant service guys as well. I have used Axis Engineering who are very good.

Getting the other EMCO machine itself serviced might be a different story

Generally speaking, you may not need Emco directly for service most of the time.

It's got a Fanuc control so you should be fine there, what you really want to look at is who made the turret and the collect closer/chuck acuator. If it's anything like my Emco lathe which has a 21T-B control the turret is probably Sauter and the actuator is likely to be Rohm, in which case I'd be looking at service for those brands as well.

Again if it's like mine there will be some Emco specific boards in the electrical cabinet, but those are largely just relay boards, the real bulk of the electrical side is all Fanuc parts or generic breakers.

Make sure it has the full manuals if you do go ahead and buy though, Emco manuals are extremely thorough and detailed with manufacturers part numbers listed for all the 'bought in' parts they use, seems they're happy to make it easy to source parts without having to go through them.

Rob L pretty much has it, if you have a sauter turret you will have support. If it has a duplomatic keep looking. Emco stopped using duplomatic for lack of response and support years ago.

This is all great info, I head from the owner and apparently it does have a Sauter turret. I still am a little hesitant to go forward as there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion on this machine. When I bought my Fadal I knew there was a giant heap of info out there on how to repair and diagnose issues. I am a big proponent of being able to fix my own machines as my experience with the "CNC repair" experts is shaky. The majority just replace parts until the problem goes away, or the owner cannot afford to go any further. There is little actual diagnosis or trouble shooting, more "the little light isn't on, must be a bad component". I don't want to turn this into a repair bashing thread so I digress. I have some more homework to do on the machine, I will post some updates if I go further. If anyone has any additional input I would be grateful.

The seller has it listed as a 2001 365-65 TCM. I looked at the work envelope and it is only about 8x20 X/Z. Normally that covers most work but I hate restricting myself on size like that. I am always kicking myself for not upping to a 4020 Fadal from my 3016.

To my knowledge there is only one Emco tech, Steve. Not sure if any companies specialize in Emco.

I have a E45 right now and love it. Solid little machine. I had a old 342 before this and it died.

Back