What's new
What's new

Encoder counts for burny 1250

todd goff

Hot Rolled
I posted this in another section but realize now that it was posted in the wrong section so my apologies. Anyway, working on a c & g systems aviator plasma table only to find that my encoder counts on x and y are gone. Could I possibly beg and plead one of you guys that may have a burny 1250 to look up settings in service mode ( please oh please). I have read the entire book and found no encoder counts and am getting desperate. Thanks in advance.

Can you ask the manufacturer? Contact Us | Burny Kaliburn
That's your single best bet. Give them a call, you should be able to get through to the right person eventually. Looks like a lincoln product or they bought the company. Either way, it says they still provide support.

Else, you can probably solve this with some math. Look at the servos/steppers/whatever. Find the part number for their encoders, punch that into google, and find the datasheet for it. use that number, whether it's 1000, 2000, 4000 counts per rev. Put the machine into jog mode and jog it sloooowwwly. Move it 1 inch, see if it actually moved one inch. If it seems controllable, moving it further will show you errors more easily.

If it moved an easy multiple of that, then just adjust the encoder count appropriately- If you set it to 2000 and it moved twice as far as anticipated, then set it to 1000.

Now this is assuming it knows the leadscrew or rack and pinion pitch. If it doesn't, you may have to determine the leadscrew pitch or sort out the ratios on your r+p and multiply or divide the encoder count accordingly.

Once you think you have it figured out, run some long travel moves and check them, and then cut some parts and confirm it's working properly.

Good luck!

The encoders usually have a tag on them that specifies the number of pulses per revolution.

It is also not uncommon to see machines with a different number of pulses per rev then what was the original factory supplied encoder.

if you can't find he tag, then calculating the number of pulses over a measured distance as was suggested in the previous post can get you there also but with more effort.

The encoders usually have a tag on them that specifies the number of pulses per revolution.

It is also not uncommon to see machines with a different number of pulses per rev then what was the original factory supplied encoder.

if you can't find he tag, then calculating the number of pulses over a measured distance as was suggested in the previous post can get you there also but with more effort.

I’m having problems with the machine. It’s a Frankenstein machine to say the least. The good news is the controller powers up.... but here’s the bad news. The machine will not jog or do any type of movement on any axis. I had to solder wires together so the cables would be long enough and need to ohm them to make sure I don’t have any loose ends (pun intended). The story on the machine is this; I bought it from a friend of mine that got it but there was no controller. In the meantime I found a burny 1250, gantry off of a plasma with cables and motors and the plasma cutter at HGR. I bought them and this is where I am now. I don’t think it’s hopeless but am frustrated. My optical torch on my Koike quit working the other day. When it rains it pours. Thanks for the replies and I’ll try burny and C&G Systems today. I tried alphatek the other day but had no success.

Hi bought stako cnc with burny 1250 and have some issues. It's rattling keep moving left and right. Forward and backwards going OK. Any idea why?
Video on YouTube

YouTube
539a2f8bf56c8d03ace6f956311c8794.jpg
d17c9e104a4957a238b0a213e3975e4f.jpg
468bf2ffe3f63a1dbfb9ef08572ab8de.jpg
fc56d5465d3301019f7f8f1a3f567b7b.jpg
685bdcb788122e6c76ac5e5ff04a42ce.jpg

@MBLORINSER

I extracted your youtube link as you had it embedded in a regular image function / text.

Just so folks can see that you are not intending to make a saw tooth / herring bone pattern when your machine moves vertically.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

I love the way you label your cables, just the way I do it ! Occasionally I get fancy with a label printer.

Dumb question, is there any way to plug in the wrong connectors into the wrong sockets ?

I like the hole through the barn wall, no messing around there.

I'd start by looking at the coupling between the motor and encoder. Probably broken. That, coupled with low grade and loosely tuned servo systems typical of those type machines, will cause wild positional swings.

Spoke some with robot command on the phone to solve a different problem with one of our robots.. they thought relatively the same thing as me, but still guessing. Encoders are working, and not giving false counts, the jag is the cycle time of position check and correcting. The PIDs need help, do not worry about the P until the bigger issues are corrected..Jog and Somehow the Y servo(s?) are giving a signal to x axis. it almost looks like the Y slave signal is being sent to x (45 degree tooth averaging). I have no idea if it is between drives and controller or in controller or wires. Without jog functions it is harder to untangle.
The fault doesn't appear to be a true fault; it looks like the controller picked up the position was outside working tolerances and errored like it should.

Electrical interference? Loose connections?
Does it happen only when the plasma torch is on or does it happen all the time

Other day find few minutes to work on mine stako cnc. Swapped stepper motors x, y and now it's jogging in other direction, so I think is encoder problem. But can't find it in Europe,
60372590ad90ef9fed1ac738b39e329e.jpg
b1c356813dd7d911a850d6607b388181.jpg
ed8f04030368adc0cf0b6144c5ebe44a.jpg
db80bdeb787ecdf7fe1fbacebf75d181.jpg

But now have other problem. Cnc was working fine. But one morning turned it on. And no mowing at any direction. On burny display it says (RUN TRAVERS) when pressing start, and no action.

Back