What's new
What's new

Engraving sequential serial numbers on a flat surface but in an arc

laminar-flow

Stainless
We have a request to engrave some text on some parts and also a sequential serial number. I have done sequential numbers on the Haas using G47 but only on a straight line. Now it looks like we need to do it on an arc.

We are using OneCNC and Fusion 360 and running a Haas.

Any ideas?

I wrote a macro once to do this with coordinate rotation G68.1. This was on a Fanuc, so I didn't have the luxury of a canned engraving cycle.

You could probably do something similar, but at least with the Haas engraving cycle a big chunk of the work is done for you.

There is this little program called Text4Milling. It costs $99 to buy permanently and you can get a 30 day trial.
It will do any engraving: upside down, inside-out, backwards, forwards, on arcs, on lines, in about 100 fonts, etc. You get the idea.

Not sure if it can do sequential but I sure found it handy..........;)

There is this little program called Text4Milling. It costs $99 to buy permanently and you can get a 30 day trial.
It will do any engraving: upside down, inside-out, backwards, forwards, on arcs, on lines, in about 100 fonts, etc. You get the idea.

Not sure if it can do sequential but I sure found it handy..........;)

First, let me tell you how relieved I am that I do not find myself in the situation of 'liking' two of your posts, in a row.

because it is just textmilling apparently, so I avoid it on a technicality

Heidenhains are really bad at engraving, about their only flaw, so this is interesting to me.

First, let me tell you how relieved I am that I do not find myself in the situation of 'liking' two of your posts, in a row.

because it is just textmilling apparently, so I avoid it on a technicality

Heidenhains are really bad at engraving, about their only flaw, so this is interesting to me.

Oh you $#%^......:D

I want people to like me! :smitten:

And you're right, it is Textmilling. I think their latest version might have sequential engraving built in??

TextMilling - Engraving software for text milling with G-codes in CNC machines [home]

Do you know Macro programming?

If so, it's pretty easy to increment the serial number using a simple macro counter.

We do this now in production. My program has a macro-variable assigned to each digit. We simply increment the macro variable for the 1's place each time with a simple #901=[#901+1] statement. Once #901 equals 10, we jump to a new line in the program, re-write #901 to a "0" and then increment #902 for the 10's place. And on & on, out to 7 digits.

If that makes sense, we can post some code that will get you started.

If none of that makes sense, then pay the $99 for the software.

There should be several good references to serial number programs here on PM.

Yes, we have engraved sequential serial numbers with G47, but is there any way to get it to engrave on a flat surface, not in a straight line but in an arc? G47 lets you adjust the angle, but I can't find a way to do it on an arc.

We had some parts with the p/n s/n engraved in a shallow face groove, on an arc. (sequential) I did it on a Fadal. I would find it hard to believe that a Fadal could do it but not a Haas. I assume you're looked in the manual?

Yes, we have engraved sequential serial numbers with G47, but is there any way to get it to engrave on a flat surface, not in a straight line but in an arc? G47 lets you adjust the angle, but I can't find a way to do it on an arc.

I don't think it supports arcs, but it does let you engrave around a cylinder oddly enough. I'm curious how many numbers the OP wants/needs? We typically only engrave P(##) 2 numbers so not sure you would even see an arc, unless the numbers are sufficiently large...

I suppose you could do something labor intensive like
G68 X1.5 Y1.5 R60. ;
G47 XYZEFIJ BLAH BLAH P(1)
G68 X1.5 Y1.5 R62. ;
G47 XYZEFIJ BLAH BLAH P(2)

And so forth, maybe use P(#) then a #10599=#10599+/- (value to increase/decrease)

But that seems like a lot of screwing around... ^^
:ack2:

You could code everything except the last digit and use G47 for the last digit, at an angle that fits the arc. After 10 parts, change the second-last digit and run 10 more parts.

Or if it's a relatively large arc you may be able to get away with letting G47 take care of the last 2 digits.

What Mike has there is basically what I have done in the past. It's not that bad. Kinda disappointed that didn't get any traction with the OP.

Less than half a day to write something that will do exactly what you want is way better than all these band-aid solutions. If you're really crafty it could be done in about 30 lines. Plus if you are weak with macros, it is helping you build a critical skillset.

I wrote a serial macro a number of years ago that would scale, put the numbers in a line at an angle, or an on arc, and optionally project that on a cylinder. Used NCPlot to debug.

Back