What's new
What's new

ER collet nuts

wmpy

Hot Rolled
I have some ER20 lathe live tool holders that are missing the collet nuts. I tried one from Maritool, and the thread was right, but the nut was about 1/8" too long. It bottomed out before tightening the collet. This is on a Mori Seiki, and I believe the holders are made by Alps Tool. I can probably just buy the nuts from Alps Tool, but I was wondering if there are standards regarding the different types of nuts. One of the nuts that works is marked ER20B. I'm not sure if the B means anything.

I don't think so. The ER20B nut I have is one piece.

Not to doubt you, but does the collet properly snap into the snout of the nut? If it doesn't, you may be missing the inner ring and bearing balls of the nut, which would give you a "too long" situation.

Post a picture of the ER nut and the tool holder it's not fitting to, maybe that'll give some clues about why it's not working.

All the alps nuts that came with my Mori Seiki SL25SY are bearing nuts. I think I remember seeing a "B" on one of them too. The only ER20 live tool that came with it has an Alps bearing nut as well.

Yep, the Alps bearing nut is a lot shorter than a regular non-bearing ER20 nut.

alps nut shorter.jpg

The ER32 bearing nuts from maritool are about ~30 thou shorter than the ER32 bearing nuts from alps. Don't know if the ER20 from maritool are shorter.

I have some ER20 lathe live tool holders that are missing the collet nuts. I tried one from Maritool, and the thread was right, but the nut was about 1/8" too long. It bottomed out before tightening the collet. This is on a Mori Seiki, and I believe the holders are made by Alps Tool. I can probably just buy the nuts from Alps Tool, but I was wondering if there are standards regarding the different types of nuts. One of the nuts that works is marked ER20B. I'm not sure if the B means anything.

Just curious, what lathe do you have that uses ER20 live tools? Are they the mori-seiki bolt-on style? I think the shaft is shorter than the modern BOT stuff, at least mine are. The ER20 live tool block I have is a radial one that sticks the tool out toward the chuck a few inches.

ER20 live tool block.jpg

Back