What's new
What's new

Are ER25 collets obsolete?

• Thread starter guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 4,376
G

When I was tooling up my new mill, I bought 6 new ER32 collet chucks along with the usual pile of sidelocks. I have a bunch of ER25 collets, so I wanted a couple ER25 collet chucks as well.

No one seemed to have them, Techniks said 8 weeks out. So I ordered them back in March. Yesterday I was wondering where they were, so I called my supplier. Apparently Techniks had sent shrink fit holders instead, so they were returned last month.

A call to Techniks, they said 10 weeks out for a pair of ER25 dual-contact holders. Jeez. Then this morning, they showed up at my supplier, and they were delivered to me this afternoon.

But it got me to thinking- I see the other ER sizes all the time on fleabay, but the ER25's seem to be not so common.

Are these things going obsolete?

Not in my opinion. I see ER11, ER16, ER20, ER25 and ER40 in regular use. ER8, ER32 and ER50 are the ones I see least often, and I'm removing ER40 from my own shop as redundant with TG100 and TG150 collet systems I'm using in preference.

ER16 ER20 ER32 also use ER25 but not all that much, no problem with getting any of them.

Order them from Maritool. Low price, top quality, American made, ships fast. I use shrink for heavy cutting but I can't stock a shrink fit (or six) in every size imaginable and they don't work so well at 1/8" and below, so I use a fair number of ER-11 and 16, and a few 32.

Order them from Maritool. Low price, top quality, American made, ships fast.
I was going to, but he does not list ER25 in a dual contact CAT40.

I was actually going to call him today- I had already told my supplier to cancel the back order, I didn't want to wait another 10 weeks. When he tried to cancel the order, that's when he saw that it had already shipped.

I paid $111 ea. for the ER25's from Techniks, which isn't a bad price. I think the ER32's were about $150 ea. They also gave me a free pull stud with each holder I bought. :)

I was going to, but he does not list ER25 in a dual contact CAT40.

I was actually going to call him today- I had already told my supplier to cancel the back order, I didn't want to wait another 10 weeks. When he tried to cancel the order, that's when he saw that it had already shipped.

I paid $111 ea. for the ER25's from Techniks, which isn't a bad price. I think the ER32's were about $150 ea. They also gave me a free pull stud with each holder I bought. :)

Why can't you use regular CAT40? In what situation would you need the extra rigidity of dual contact with an ER collet?

Why can't you use regular CAT40? In what situation would you need the extra rigidity of dual contact with an ER collet?
You're right, I could get away with standard CAT40's. I've been tooling up with dual contacts because it's a dual contact spindle, so why not?

When I am running small end mills, I'm using collets, and the dual contacts will prevent Z creep when the spindle warms up, at least that's the idea.

Other than the few extra bucks, I don't see a downside to using dual contact holders.

You're right, I could get away with standard CAT40's. I've been tooling up with dual contacts because it's a dual contact spindle, so why not?

When I am running small end mills, I'm using collets, and the dual contacts will prevent Z creep when the spindle warms up, at least that's the idea.

Other than the few extra bucks, I don't see a downside to using dual contact holders.

Gotchya.

Can't go wrong with Maritool, though. Maybe pick up a couple of the regular CAT40 ER25's to use with drills/taps/reamers, etc. Then use your smaller endmills with the other size dual contact holders you've got. They've got em in stock right now.

Every ER size is available for the most part ER8’s I have found to be more difficult to source other than you can get them for any taper really. Maritool, Lyndex, and Parlec are a couple that come to mind I’m sure there are more companies out there that would supply them but I’ve only dealt with a handful.

Gotchya.

Can't go wrong with Maritool, though. Maybe pick up a couple of the regular CAT40 ER25's to use with drills/taps/reamers, etc. Then use your smaller endmills with the other size dual contact holders you've got. They've got em in stock right now.
I'll probably talk to them about a couple ER20's and ER11's. Got a bunch of those collets too, lol.

I'm going to try to not mix and match standard and dual contact in a setup if I can help it. The dual contact closes up that gap between the holder and spindle nose. I would like to avoid the possibility of chips getting blasted up there onto the spindle nose, then doing a tool change to a dual contact holder and clamping on a chip. If everything is dual contact, that shouldn't be able to happen.

Probably not a big issue, but one less thing to be concerned about.

Since my other machines are BT40's, this machine was going to need all new holders anyway. It's a big plus spindle, so I'm buying big plus holders. If I already had a bunch of CAT40 holders, my thinking would probably be different.

Many machine builders advise to not mix dual contact and regular tapers. They have concerns about crap getting on the spindle face when a non-dual contact holder is running then it gets squashed when a dual contact holder goes in causing fit issues.

Techniks is really struggling right now since they bought Parlec. All sorts of super common holders are no stock with them. Oddly enough they will have tons of not as common items.

Techniks is really struggling right now since they bought Parlec. All sorts of super common holders are no stock with them. Oddly enough they will have tons of not as common items.
I can vouch for that! Even the commons- a 3/8" sidelock. I ordered 2. Out of stock so substituted Parlecs, then they sent me one Techniks by surprise, so I ended up with 3.

ER32 and ER16 by far are the most popular. But ER25 is nothing to ignore or dismiss either. Funny thing I noticed a few weeks ago we didnt have any ER25 collet chucks in Dual contact. We currently have in production ER25 dual contact in a 4.0 and 1.85 gage length. I think they are waiting for taper grinding, then a few more operations. We will make more gage lengths and styles when we can. Our end goal is to have the same selection of holders in both standard and dual contact.

One thing we carry that many people dont is ER25 in the mini nut type. A standard ER25 collet nut is M32 x 1.5 thread and the nut is 1.65 Inches in diameter. We also have the ER25 mini nut style tool holder where the nut is M30 x 1.0 and the outside diameter is 1.375 diameter. Helps the tool get into tighter places.

Yes it is a good idea to either run all standard holders or all dual contact holders. Try not to mix and match.

Back