What's new
What's new

experience with haas 50+1 tool changer?

bryan_machine

Diamond
Haas is now listing a 50+1 side mount changer.

Anybody have field eperience with these (on VMCs?)

[Is this the same as the tool changer a member showed video of on their new horizontal?]

[Is this the same as the tool changer a member showed video of on their new horizontal?]

many cnc have double row of 60 tool changer or holds 120 tools. what exactly you wondering about ? or just wondering that particular brand or model ?
possible issues with any tool changer
1) auto read tool chip or have to manually press button to read tool chip
2) some need program delay to not time out during tool change. when set to go faster sometimes that causes problems too, obviously depends on make, model and age
3) tools left in tool changer tends to get rusty from spindle taper to tap extension compression holder to collets and other stuff getting rusty

I ran an EC (hori, not a vmc) some years ago that had a 70 tool changer, not sure what your question is? They work fine, but I think the design is a bit cheap once you get past the 40 tool ones as they just make the wheel larger. We did not have a problem with ours, but I could see it being prone to problems IMO....

my impression is that the 50+1 is a pretty new (within last year?) option for the haas VMCs - so I am wondering if this "new feature" is well debugged or problematic. (I think a medium large VMC is in my medium future...)

both posts above seem to be "it's like the 30+1 but bigger, and maybe more prone to things like twisting problems" - which is fine.

but if somebody has experience that the 50+1 is super slow, or jams way more often than the 30+1, or things like that, I'm hoping to hear about it.

my impression is that the 50+1 is a pretty new (within last year?) option for the haas VMCs - so I am wondering if this "new feature" is well debugged or problematic. (I think a medium large VMC is in my medium future...)

both posts above seem to be "it's like the 30+1 but bigger, and maybe more prone to things like twisting problems" - which is fine.

but if somebody has experience that the 50+1 is super slow, or jams way more often than the 30+1, or things like that, I'm hoping to hear about it.

Guess I couldn't say on the 50. I know the 40 tool smtc was fast enough (relatively speaking of course!) with tool staging. I've only had one tc jam up on me and that was my fault, I didn't mark 2 tools as oversized and through the course of running they eventually ended up side by side on the carousel. It was an easy fix, just screwdriver to pry one of them out and that was that.

50+1 looks to just be a larger wheel of the 30+1 changer ,, I have one of the newer VF2SS mills with the 30+1 and its been 100% bug free ... its a lot faster than the older 24+1 changers ... the only down side is it makes more noise ,, but its not bad .

Back