What's new
What's new

Explain CAT 40 to me

Dave_WDM

Plastic
So I haven't really thought about CAT40 tooling beforehand and I googled the dimensions. Don't roast me if these are obvious questions but I couldn't find a whole lot of information on the subject.
I understand the importance of the taper dimensions and the flange spots to be on size, but what does everything else matter?
The V slot between the upper and lower flange for example, if it's .01" bigger, or if the flat isn't at the root, will it affect anything? Or how much bigger can it be without affecting anything. I get the tool changer has to swing around and grab the holder. But how precise does that actually need to be?
I read that the inverted nipple on the one slot is to help with balancing the tool holder, and that one slot is smaller/bigger than the other side. But why can't they be the same? What does it affect?
What about the retention knob, why isn't the body and knob all just one piece? Wouldn't it be stronger that way? Is it due to being so hard post heat treat and becoming brittle?

CAT40.JPG

The dimensions are a standard to give interchangeability.

The pull knob such that different machines have different retention styles.

Ed.

Why do you care that I care? I want to know how it actually works, not just machine go brrr.

We often get kids trying to get us to do their tech school homework, or sales people trying to get us to write their sales info for them, etc. As such, the board has developed what might be considered a hyperactive immune system towards people with low post counts who don't appear at first glance to have a bunch of experience in the trade.

We often get kids trying to get us to do their tech school homework, or sales people trying to get us to write their sales info for them, etc. As such, the board has developed what might be considered a hyperactive immune system towards people with low post counts who don't appear at first glance to have a bunch of experience in the trade.

I'm neither so :dunce:

Well heres a tidbit for you...CAT tool holders were developed for CATerpillar and are also known as caterpillar V flange holders.

CAT diesel power!

The question you are asking tells us how very little you know and how little your experience is. But go ahead and walk in here with a chip on your shoulder. See how it works for you.
Lack of experience makes mistakes. Mistakes gives you experience.

The question you are asking tells us how very little you know and how little your experience is. But go ahead and walk in here with a chip on your shoulder. See how it works for you.
Lack of experience makes mistakes. Mistakes gives you experience.

I know what I know and I don't know what I don't know. I didn't think I said anything that would suggest I had a chip on my shoulder. If I did I apologize. But hey its the information age, so if you would be able to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Mostly speculation on my part, but my guess is the Cat tapers were made like they are for who knows what reason, but because Cat was so big and bought so many machine tools it stuck.

The reason why every dimension of the flange is important is because there's a shitload of different toolchanger designs. Some need that flat in the root of the V because they grab the tool with spring loaded fingers. The slot widths can be the same size and most of them are today.

Pullstuds are removeable for multiple reasons. One big one is because many toolholders have adjustable depth stops built right into them. Many tool designs like Sandvik's Varilock and Capto use a drawbar bolt through the center of the toolholder and you have to remove the pullstud to get to the head. Many tools are through coolant and through air so they use hollow pullstuds. Machine tool builders use a ton of different styles of grippers in the spindle to grab the pullstud so there's different pullstud designs.

Mostly speculation on my part, but my guess is the Cat tapers were made like they are for who knows what reason, but because Cat was so big and bought so many machine tools it stuck.

The reason why every dimension of the flange is important is because there's a shitload of different toolchanger designs. Some need that flat in the root of the V because they grab the tool with spring loaded fingers. The slot widths can be the same size and most of them are today.

Pullstuds are removeable for multiple reasons. One big one is because many toolholders have adjustable depth stops built right into them. Many tool designs like Sandvik's Varilock and Capto use a drawbar bolt through the center of the toolholder and you have to remove the pullstud to get to the head. Many tools are through coolant and through air so they use hollow pullstuds. Machine tool builders use a ton of different styles of grippers in the spindle to grab the pullstud so there's different pullstud designs.

....and they're a wear item.

As Garwood said. Caterpillar designed them long ago. If they were to do it again today I bet there would be some changes. The first that comes to mind is the slot depths being different, not good for balance. In a way BT is an updated Cat, it certainly has taken over the 30 tapers.

Back