What's new
What's new

Explain Fanuc to me.....

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Ok let me say a few things first:

I have the chance to get a older free CNC mill Fanuc control.

I am quite comfortable making a living now with my current business model....this old machine is not intended to make any money.

I am not getting this to make parts for anyone....it will just be a cool old "toy" to play with.

Yes I know parts...probably zero. Support...also zero,,,..the machine does have all the factory books with it, which is a huge plus and is working.

That being said: so how does this fanuc thing work??

Not much on google, appears you have G code things.....OK....how does the head know how far down to go??

Could I get a simplified explanation ?

Would likely be helpful if you could state the brand of the machine, It seems that at times the machine tool builders did different things.

Fred

Hitachi Seiki

Not attempting to learn over a forum....LOl

Just curious on the basics

checking out the link...thks

the link is very good......eating lunch and and reading.....thks mhajicek

Ok grilled salad gone.......understand the process........once you solidify the coordinate thing it all makes sense.

Fanuc still supports very old controls. The issue is, It aint cheap. It would be a very expensive "free" toy.

Hitachi is supported through Mori Seiki. Im not sure to what degree.

Do you know the machine model and control model?

still a lot of logistics and info to find out........

I wanted to see what this Fanuc stuff was before I went any further.........

So no more info right now........

Let me try this as a series of Haikus:

I call this one, "Lifecycle"

Obsolesence, Fie!
Parts were old when they were new.
We still stock them all.

This one is called "Thank the Gods for DNC"

Scratching head at quote,
Memr'y measured in "KB."
Blame the MTB!

Here is a fun one called "Offsets"

G00
G90 Z-10
What's G43?

That's all I've got for now.

The Fanuc will be fine. Plenty of parts and a larger user knowledgebase than all other controls combined. Even going back to the 1970's stuff.

Really just comes down to if it makes sense to move it and use it. Old electronics don't like to sit. They like to be exercised regularly and if you need to run a machine all the time you should get something newer and faster.

iirc Hitachi-Seiki has some coffin nails because of the way they did things. Like a PLC that they designed and built running their software that you cannot repair.

You haven't said a bit about what it is though. To some folks old is 2010. To other's it's before 1980.

The machine is still supported by Mori.
The Fanuc CNC is pretty straight forward in my opinion.
I have some training materials from when I worked for a MTB and if you'd like them, PM me.

You can find a ton of older fanuc boards and parts on ebay for dirt cheap. I bought a full I/O rack with boards for $250.00.
New is a whole other story...

A month ago I splurged a little bit and bought a pair of rare high speed skip option boards for my 1987 Fanuc powered VMC. They were brand new for $40 delivered.

I also have a complete last and fastest 10M-D control. At some point I want to take the entire 1987 10MA-D control out and install the 1989 10M-D control to get 512K memory and more options.

If you're an old Fanuc geek they can be pretty neat. Old Fanuc books are pretty awesome, all the stuff they can actually do is mind blowing.

Probing, Macros, Dprint.

I ran a Fanuc controlled mill for a couple years and still wouldn't say I "understand" Fanuc. It's an industry standard and all, but of the half dozen controls I've used it's the most non-intuitive.

That said, the Fanuc will likely be the least problamatic part of your adventure. Old machines always seem to have a sensor glitching or a wire connection coming loose that you have to track down.

Obsolesence, Fie!
We still stock them all.

Memr'y measured in "KB."
Blame the MTB!

G00
G90 Z-10
What's G43?

Had to log in just to hit the like button for this one...
Are you a Douglas Adams fan? This would be his sense of humor.

I don't know Douglas Adams. I was just struck with the muse and I've thought a bit (or eight) about why FANUC is great and also why I hate them.

Obsolesence, Fie!
We still stock them all.

Memr'y measured in "KB."
Blame the MTB!

G00
G90 Z-10
What's G43?

The G43 need to come with H(XX)
Example:
G90 G00 G43 H01 Z100.

G90 = absolute coordinate
G00 = move rapid traverse
G43 = calling tool length compensation value
H01 = value in tool offset page (on the length column)
Z100. = the tool tip will come to the position up from your zero point 100mm

The G43 need to come with H(XX)
Example:
G90 G00 G43 H01 Z100.

G90 = absolute coordinate
G00 = move rapid traverse
G43 = calling tool length compensation value
H01 = value in tool offset page (on the length column)
Z100. = the tool tip will come to the position up from your zero point 100mm

you-joke.gif

Ok let me say a few things first:
That being said: so how does this fanuc thing work??

Not much on google, appears you have G code things.....OK....how does the head know how far down to go??

Could I get a simplified explanation ?

Fanuc is a company that makes CNC Controls. A lot of other CNC control manufacturers base their code off of the Fanuc syntax or code format. The first reply to this thread is a link to a nice knowledge base of CNC use and programming and also is centralized around Fanuc programming and use.

G-Code is what you use to control the CNC part of the machine operation. You can either hand write a program or use a CAM software to generate a G-Code program based on toolpaths that you apply to a 2D or 3D model. The program itself is comprised of G-codes, M-codes, and XYZ positions. There are canned cycles, or built in functions, that utilize other values like R, P, Q, etc..

G codes like G20 or G43 control how the rest of the code is interpreted by turning modes on and off or calling up canned cycles for drilling or tapping. These are pretty standardized and work similarly across most Fanuc controls.

M-Codes control machine functions like Spindle on/off or coolant on/off. These can be manufacturer specific, but the most basic ones are usually standardized like spindle and coolant.

XYZ are positions in reference to a known point. If you are in G90(absolute mode), these positions are relative to a work offset. If you are in G91(incremental mode), these positions are relative to the machine's current position. Using one, two, or all 3 XYZ values will give you a straight line unless you command an arc move.

R or IJK codes on a line that has XYZ will define an arc type movement.

Other things to know would be Work offsets and Tool offsets.

Work offsets are used to specify a position for which the G-Code program will run relative to when programming in absolute(G90). This is how most programs are written/generated. You can have multiple work offsets and call them up in your program when you need them. G54 is usually the default. G55-G59 are also available for the same purpose.

Tool offsets are used to specify a length of a tool from the machines gage line. This way you can have multiple tools setup, and change them out and just call up their tool length offset with G43 H??. The machine then compensates for the length variation and will put the tip/end of the tool at the proper height relative to your work offset.

I could give examples for all of the above, but CNC Cookbook is a decent resource and has all that already. So, start reading!

Also, you can experiment with these codes in MDI(Manual Data Input) mode. Just be careful and learn where the reset button and the Emergency stop are. Don't be afraid to hit either the moment you need to. Reset is like a soft stop and cancels a lot of different things like movement and spindle, but not always. Emergency stop cuts the power to the servos and the spindle immediately. Recovering from an E-stop isn't hard, just might take you a minute the first time you do it, but is something you should know. And with most fanucs, just release it and hit reset. Then go into MPG, or Jog if you don't have a pulse handle, and move the machine away slowly. It's probably wise to learn how to manually move the machine around with those modes before you do anything else. This way you can see if anything is making noise or doesn't feel right before you try a program or command.

Back