What's new
What's new

Extra Length CAT-40 holders?

Liberty_Machine

Aluminum
I've got a project coming up that's going to need tool holders in the 6" extension range. Material is aluminum, radial clearance is generous. In all my years of machining, I've never had to contend with length issues. Tools are drills (.09" to .375") and endmills (.187 to .500"). Most of the tool holders I'm finding are 6" gage length which is a bit tight, but could work. Lot of high efficiency milling and tight finishes. Suggestions?

Shrink holders - you don't need a fancy machine for low frequency use, just a mapp torch and something simple rigged up to rotate the holder while you heat it so that it's heated even.

Parlec makes an 8in ER32. It is dual contact is well. We have a couple on the shelf. They work fine for light duty milling in our Okuma.

MST slimline curve holders, they are shink fit.

I'm a huge fan of MST Slimlines (we have a bunch). For tools over 6inch gage length though, you could easily have $1000+ into a single holder. Not sure that would be my first choice if you have plenty of radial clearance.

We use a lot of Technik ER16 and ER20s for 6-8" applications where clearance and rigidity are not issues. Good price and quality

Depending on what you really need.

I use straight shank ER's in set screw holders more often than I should admit.

A 3/4" 3" gage length Cat40, another 4" or 4.5" with the straight shank, and then
hang the tool out some after that.

I should clarify; ridgitiy IS an issue, I need to machine on the side of the part when it's tipped at A90, but I've got the next part sticking straight up (dovetail work)
Material is just 6061, but I would like to be aggressive with the material removal. Tooling is all 1/2" and under

I've seen the ER-16's in MSC, but I've never used them beyond spot/drill/tap applications, unknown how they would perform in actual heavy milling (.075" RDOC/.75ADOC at 200 ipm, 10k rpm)

ER16 only goes up to 3/8 last I checked

ER16/ER32 works well for aluminum, I use them interchangeably with side lock without changing speed/feed. If you're still doing sane speeds and feeds, and if you clean the collet/taper/shank with alcohol or similar so they're not oily, then it should work fine.

I've seen the ER-16's in MSC, but I've never used them beyond spot/drill/tap applications, unknown how they would perform in actual heavy milling (.075" RDOC/.75ADOC at 200 ipm, 10k rpm)

I use 4" ER-11, 16, and 32 for milling 17-4 and Ti grade 5 all the time. I can't get quite as aggressive as the shrink fit holders, but since I do prototype and am constantly changing tools it works out for me.

Back