What's new
What's new

face milling, interrupted, steel - insert recommendation

slowcheetah

Plastic
Hello,

Can you please recommend me an insert for interrupted face milling, steel?
I'm currently using WNT SAKU 1706ABSR-M50 CTPM240 (stainless steel). They worked great for me so far but I'm wondering if this is the correct choice for my application (interrupted face milling) and also they're pretty expensive.

Thank you.

All facemills and end mills are interrupted cutting. What are you trying to accomplish? We don't know your application.

Ok, I used the wrong term then :).
I have 6 steel cylinders placed in a homemade device.cilinders.jpg
Each of them is Ø37mm, the distance between them is 10 mm. I now use this cutter and these inserts.
Can I do better?
Thank you

I looked at the cutter and inserts. It's a nice design with a thick beefy insert.
That particular grade is an M40/P40 ISO rating which means its about as tough as they get. On the ISO scale, he higher the number, the tougher or more chip resistant it will be.

Coating and edge prep. The coating is thin PVD and the edge prep is somewhat sharp, both of which are great for stainless. PVD withstands heat well and you need a sharp edge to shave the stainless. Don't want to rub this material as some of it will harden on you. But that sharp edge can work against you in steel.

Edge prep is everything. Look for an insert for steel. It will likely have a slight hone or land at the cutting edge for strength.
A thick, MT-CVD coating would be ideal. Many times these are glossy black in color.
Good Luck.
I would love to visit Romania one day. It looks like a beautiful country.

Back