What's new
What's new

Face Milling Kovar

MMWLLC

Plastic
I am going to give my first attempt at cutting kovar a go. I believe I have my feeds and speeds dialed in for using an end mill so I am going try that first. As for face milling, my question is, what are some good recommendations for SFM and chip load?

Milling Insert SEHW1204AFTN ACK300 MariTool

Square Insert Shell Mill - Face Mill 45deg X 2.48 dia MariTool

Those are the inserts/ face mill body I am using.

I typically run stainless with this cutter at 500 SFM and about .003 chip load for a nice finish.

I only need to dust off about .005 off of this. I am assuming I will be running coolant. (qualichem 250c is what I have)

Plates are .125" thick and I'm going to take them to .120". Using the super glue and tape method to hold down the plates (I have my method for that dialed in) I have a cat40 big plus spindle with a dual contact arbor for the shell mill also.

Any help would be appreciated. Never cut any material like this before.

Thanks,

I'd suspect that speed to be way too high for that depth of cut. Taking such a small chip will leave all of the heat in the material or in the cutter and I'd anticipate that to show up as premature insert failure.

However, I'd like to hear what the more experienced folks have to say.

I am going to give my first attempt at cutting kovar a go. I believe I have my feeds and speeds dialed in for using an end mill so I am going try that first. As for face milling, my question is, what are some good recommendations for SFM and chip load?

Milling Insert SEHW1204AFTN ACK300 MariTool

Square Insert Shell Mill - Face Mill 45deg X 2.48 dia MariTool

Those are the inserts/ face mill body I am using.

I typically run stainless with this cutter at 500 SFM and about .003 chip load for a nice finish.

I only need to dust off about .005 off of this. I am assuming I will be running coolant. (qualichem 250c is what I have)

Plates are .125" thick and I'm going to take them to .120". Using the super glue and tape method to hold down the plates (I have my method for that dialed in) I have a cat40 big plus spindle with a dual contact arbor for the shell mill also.

Any help would be appreciated. Never cut any material like this before.

Thanks,

Never ran Kovar but I have worked with Invar which is a little more Nickle and lacking Cobalt. I treated it like 625 Inco and was successful. I would imagine the Nickle and Cobalt will slow you down a good bit from stainless. Though taking such a light cut you may be able to run a fair bit faster than typical.

I've Turned a hundred miles of Kovar. Never Milled it though. I use the same SFM as 304ss. Also the same techniques.

R

thanks for the fast feedback.

When I was saying what I ran for stainless, I was not saying that is what I was going to start with, I was just using that as a reference to see if anyone has other suggestions.

Yes, these pieces are not able to be held in a vise. They are 12" x 13" x .125 thick to start. I am going to dust .005 off of the surface. I am then milling (9) 3.00" X 3.00" squares out of them. Perfect job for an EDM, except I don't have one. lol. I have had success with the painters tape/ super glue method and I don't anticipate issues with that. I anticipate to make good money on this even by doing it with a mill and using a fixture plate, and at the end of the day, if it pays I will take it. One of these days I'm going to buy a damn vacuum because I always seem to be doing thin stuff like this.

Back