What's new
What's new

Fadal 15XT Z-Overload on Peck Drilling

RC Mech

Stainless
Chip-break cycle rather, 27/64 drill in D2 plate 1” deep. The machine started doing freaky things a couple of days ago. The cycle will begin at the first hole and peck 0.100” deep, retract 0.100” to break chip, peck to 0.200” etc. On the third/fourth peck, Z will no longer retract and the feed will decrease (but continue) while the Z servo load increases significantly.

The creeping up of the Z servo load is shown in the attached photo. Machine will E-stop and throw a Z Axis Overload Alarm when the value at 7022 in photo gets to 9xxx. This is the axis load, correct?

Further, though the Z depth is programmed for -1.200”, the actual depth drilled is 0.400” or so, when it doesn’t alarm out. Control states the 1.200” depth has been reached when you watch it.

1. Way lube operational
2. Z slides oiled manually, no mechanical resistance
3. Drilling via MPG works as intended, correct Z depth, no increased axis load
4. Peck drill cycle vs. drilling with constant feed causes same alarm condition
5. Cycling on/off, tried it after sitting overnight = no change
6. Drill is not moving/slipping in chuck. Confirmed tool height.

Z axis servo amp? I’m at a loss. Thank you all.

5399BE70-4B6A-4B9E-9774-AF9B7BFDEEAC.jpg

Sounds like a servo needs replacing. How's the sound? Possible the motor is on the way out?

It has nothing to do with the peck drilling.
its your z axis. motor, ball screw turcite , oil issue on z axis or counter weight system) maybe electrical
try these things 1st to eliminate the the problem
run the program at 25% rapid and 50% rapid.
run the program with the Z0 4"-6" higher ( this will tell if you have a mechanical bind at some location or counter weight chains dragging)

Chip-break cycle rather, 27/64 drill in D2 plate 1” deep. The machine started doing freaky things a couple of days ago. The cycle will begin at the first hole and peck 0.100” deep, retract 0.100” to break chip, peck to 0.200” etc. On the third/fourth peck, Z will no longer retract and the feed will decrease (but continue) while the Z servo load increases significantly.

The creeping up of the Z servo load is shown in the attached photo. Machine will E-stop and throw a Z Axis Overload Alarm when the value at 7022 in photo gets to 9xxx. This is the axis load, correct?

Further, though the Z depth is programmed for -1.200”, the actual depth drilled is 0.400” or so, when it doesn’t alarm out. Control states the 1.200” depth has been reached when you watch it.

1. Way lube operational
2. Z slides oiled manually, no mechanical resistance
3. Drilling via MPG works as intended, correct Z depth, no increased axis load
4. Peck drill cycle vs. drilling with constant feed causes same alarm condition
5. Cycling on/off, tried it after sitting overnight = no change
6. Drill is not moving/slipping in chuck. Confirmed tool height.

Z axis servo amp? I’m at a loss. Thank you all.

View attachment 320719

Moved tool offset +4.0”, cut air. No problem, 30-32 following error. Kept Z height at part zero, moved 12” in X to clear part/vise and cut air, 30-32 following error.

Programmed for 22 SFM rather than 200 SFM for HSS in D2. No problems. One dope-slap for me.

Thanks everyone.

Moved tool offset +4.0”, cut air. No problem, 30-32 following error. Kept Z height at part zero, moved 12” in X to clear part/vise and cut air, 30-32 following error.

Programmed for 22 SFM rather than 200 SFM for HSS in D2. No problems. One dope-slap for me.

Thanks everyone.

Broaching the hole didn't work? I'm really surprised it didn't alarm out.

Back