What's new
What's new

Fadal 4020 tram, setup, adjustment concerns and questions

Uguessedit

Aluminum
I’ve read the existing posts I guess in my case I didn’t feel I found the answers I’m looking for. The machine is the typical 4 pad setup and it’s leveled perfect front to back. I adjusted all the Gibbs as instructed by Fadal however a few questions about that and tram. We just installed a new z ballscrew so it was time to also go through everything else and square it back up.

First of all the Z axis gibb adjustment is difficult for me to do besides being a short person reaching adds complexity. They say stick a pry bar and move as I did with x and y but I can’t fit a pry bar between the head and ways except a small corner and it slips out easy. Best I could use is a large screwdriver and couldn’t get a good grip or leverage. Maybe someone has an alternative way to do this. I’m close to .0002-.0004 range it’s impossible for me to not either have my pry bar pop out or lack leverage so I know I’m getting shaky readings. I just don’t want to be too tight.

The other thing is these Fadals have scalloped tables and not very easy to run an indicator across accurately. I can use 123 blocks but they don’t slide across the surface well so wondering what other guys have done. The other thing is I have the fadal style indicator holder but it flexes a heck of a lot so that requires a two handed swing.

Lastly as stated the table is level front back, etc. I went ahead and faced the pallet plate after reinstalling and it is flat except it tapers left to right by .002. Front to back is the same left to right. Far as the head goes I only adjusted the center two Gibbs from what I understood those affect if it’s straight up and down and the sides would be forward back which is spot on perfect. So I’m thinking that plying with the head further will probably undo any good and that I need to twist the base on the left side up or drop it down on the right side. When I put a level on the pallet plate it shows the pallet plate is high to the left now so despite the table being flat it’s obviously not square to the column or something else is going on. Should I twist until pallet plate surfaces level?

The other thing I could do is toss some shims under the column and tilt it back toward the left and recheck. any suggestions are welcome it doesn’t have to be perfect zeros but if I could cut the taper down 2/3’s I would be happy.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Back