What's new
What's new

Fadal 4020 Y axis amplifier fault #18

garychipmaker

Cast Iron
Hi To start off with I made a mistake. I read in the maintenance manual that the Y axis could be adjusted to be centered with the center T-slot. mine was off by .030". the mistake I made was I read how to adjust a machine with resolvers and I have a 1998 AC machine with encoders. I rotated the encoder which I did mark it's original position to bring the table centered. The machine ran fine for a couple hours then after it sat idle as I was changing a few lines in a program it went into E-stop. Before it went into E-stop I did notice an off and on slight growling noise. the screen showed Y axis #3 fault. I returned the encoder to it's original position but now it shows a y-axis fault #18 then returns to E-stop. Machine will move X and Z fine till Y is selected. So do I have a problem with the servo and encoder causing the amplifier problem Any help will be greatly appreciated.

swap the x y amplifier and see if the problem follows. had something similar a few weeks ago with a trm. we got the #18 alarm so swapped and issue followed. replaced the drive/amp and back and running. What I read about the motor/encoder on the ac machines the encoder had to be phased or something like that to the motor and required specialized equipment.

Back