What's new
What's new

Fadal 445 Axis Soft Disconnect Help Please

Darren Janecky

Plastic
Hi, our machine is a 2008 VMC6030 HT with a Fanuc 18i control. I'm looking for a second opinion. On Ref Return at start-up, I get a 445 n-axis: Soft Disconnect Alarm. I say "n-axis", as it occurs on all X,Y, and Z axis at random, perhaps slightly favoring the Y-axis. This happens on Cold Start. We had a Service call, but they wouldn't touch the Fanuc side, and I had a call in to Fanuc, who suggested Servo Amp replacement. This is a single "drive" machine, so unfortunately swapping axis is not possible. The Servo Amp is quite expensive, and I can find very little information on this. There's another thread I think here from 2012 that had a similar problem that an Amp swap did NOT fix. I would like to avoid that of course. As the Fanuc Tech said, it would be extremely unlikely for this to be a cabling/encoder issue on all 3 axis, correct? My gut said it's the drive as soon as it started happening, but fresh opinions are helpful. Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks,
Darren

We have 4 or 5 of these machines - I would bet if it's not the drive itself, it's one of the fiber optic (or other cables) being either slightly loose or crimped somewhere. If you think it's favoring one axis over the others, replace those cables first.

You can also probably find someone who repairs those drives (or one on Ebay - but YMMV).

If you have an auxiliary 24V power supply, check that too - it can produce these gremlins.

Back