What's new
What's new

What are the best brands of tool holders and how do Japanese brands stack up?

BoilerBob

Plastic
Discuss what makes a tool holder high-performance and how willing are customers to pay for the increased performance?

I currently sell Japanese machine tool accessories. NT Tool, MST, and Yukiwa are the main brands I rep. Has anyone had experience with these brands? How do they compare to the brands of tool holders that are regarded as the best?

I run almost exclusively MST monocurve holders. They are the perfect shape for 5axis work, great balance and tool runout, or lack thereof. My only gripe, and it's a small one, is that they are a little hard to shrink with the stainless nose with an induction shrink machine. Another "best", Big Kaiser in my opinion.

I think Big/Kaiser/Daishowa/whatever they call themselves are making some of the best tool holders. Lyndex are very good as well.

Rego-Fix is very good, but also very expensive.
Lyndex-Nikken also really good.
I have zero experience with the ones you sell, and have never heard of them.

Rego-Fix are Swiss aren't they?

I have an NT Tool drill chuck like this one. I don't know where it came from, I don't remember buying it. I think maybe a tool rep gave it to me. It's good enough for what it is I guess, nothing special. I don't use drill chucks much.

Yukiwa I am only aware of from their rotary tables.

Never heard of MST.

I run almost exclusively MST monocurve holders. They are the perfect shape for 5axis work, great balance and tool runout, or lack thereof. My only gripe, and it's a small one, is that they are a little hard to shrink with the stainless nose with an induction shrink machine. Another "best", Big Kaiser in my opinion.

We use the MST monocurves for out 5th work as well.
I find them easy to get a tool into with the haimer shrink fit... but getting tools out can be a real BITCH especially with the really thin tip profile holders.

I would say the MST holders are by far the best ive ever used (in shrink fit)
For everything else its Nikken SK series + drill chucks

Some oddball tooling goes into Sowa sidelocks, but those tools dont care about runout.

I've handled a over the years. NT's collect chucks really stood out, because of their supreme thread-fit on the collet nuts. Big Kaiser makes some very nice products, and I've been impressed with Lyndex-Nikken's milling chucks. Oddly, the best Weldon endmill holder I've ever seen was a Seco/EPB - nearly an air-tight fit on the shank, and they offset the bores to compensate for runout. We even joked that they were a Canadian shrink-fit... Maritool is also putting out some fine tools as well.

I'm very pleased with the Lyndex Nikken BT30 tool holders I use on my Speedio S700X1 with 27k RPM spindle. Most of them are SK6/10/16 collet chucks, but I also have the rigid tap holder and a shell mill holder.

I have two Big Kaiser BT30 FCM face mills that leave a mirror finish on aluminum and steel.

I have an Okuma mill stuffed full of taper plus Lyndex holders. I've been impressed. I think some of the other names have a niche that they are better at but if you had to pick one brand I'd go with Lyndex

Back