Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Search for a member named aarongough (?) He has a Fadal, and did some re-building, he will likely have the answers you need/want...
    I think he also went through the process of adding a probe to his machine and posted about it. Either way he is a great resource along with BobW.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    a 6030 isn't any more a pain to rig than any other machine of a
    similar size capacity, and not as heavy as some.

4th axis definitely just find one wit it if you think you need it.
    it's a slow machine compared to some of the Jap stuff.

and you only want a 88 controller.

not nearly as many 6030 were produced so you will have to look a little longer maybe
    to find the right one.

Ac or DC not that big of a thing not a race horse either way, more like a mule
    it plods along and gets the job done.

now your big question is do you need the size or do you just want it
    I was teying to determine how to weigh the 10k spindle vs the slower 7.5k range on other machines.
    It seems like slower rpm but more horsepower can remove more material per unit time...? As long as there is the feed rate to push it through. I was noticing the fadals seem to have slower feed rates ~200 to 250.
    I was also looking at the haas vf6, but it seems a jump in price.
    I have orders for flanges that are up to 28" diameter, so the 30" table dimension is highly desirable. I could do smaller in the X axis, but the 6030 seems the next common size up from 4020.
    I dont do anything exotic, steels aluminum, brass, copper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sold a 94 4020 to a guy on Kijiji a couple years ago for a song, both knowing it needed turcite in the saddle and table, new gibs.

Well if that fella didnt do all the work to strip the machine, install the turcite, and then brought it to me for machining. It had a pallet changer on the table its entire life, and was a dream to clock in for machining.

He now has a damned good machine, and is making excellent coin with it. And I know where to go, when I need to machine a rebuild on one of my machines.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of the Fadals I am looking at are listed as "MULTI-PROCESSOR CNC"
    Is that the 88Hs?

I see people discussing how the Haas have much more realizable horsepower. Is the machining difference worth the $10-15k extra? I also see tool change time as being 'glacial' for the Fadals compared to seconds for the Haas.

I have had one seller make me an offer of $40k for the following
    1990 Fadal 6030 with 4th axis
    88 Control
    and
    1995 Haas VF-3 with 4th axis

He includes rigging and loading on his end (so no cost to me)
    I would have them shipped at the same time, and be able to move/place them at the same time on my end (one forklift rental).

I was also looking at another 'plastic only' Fadal 6030 with the 'MULTI-PROCESSOR CNC' with 4MEG of memory for $25k, seems to be a clean machine. It was said to be re manufacture in 2010. no pre wire, has rigid tapping, but no other options.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Multi-processor CNC may or may not have any real meaning. The 88/88HS/32MP controls all use multiple processors (one on each axis card, plus the main one, I believe). For a 2010 machine, it could be the MAG-produced Super CPU, which not many people seem to know much about, although Perry Harrington may be able to help you on that front as he did some digging into them.

Fadal tool changes are really, really slow. But it depends on what era Haas you're comparing to (the Fadals never got faster), and you're the only one who can figure out if that time is worth the money for your business.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was guessing the multi processor was a more generic term, where on the machine would I see the actual processor? Is it a boot up screen or on a Control board?

For my business, any tool changing would be a great improvement. Material removal rate for two different machines would be very much looking into.

Has anyone done a comparison of similar era machines of Fadal and Haas, using similar end mills (or the same) for removal of materal? MRR is only part of the equiation I understand, accuracy, repeat ability and finish are all important as well. I guess I am trying to ask, given the same part, for a similar Era machine, to achieve same/similar quality, how much different of machining time is there? Assuming no tool changes.
    Fadals are 10k RPM but that may not be important factor compared to the 7.5k RPM Haas considering Haas seem to have much faster possible cutting feed rates.

Im just trying to wrap my mind around comparing apples and oranges.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best way to determine what control is in it is to check the part numbers on the boards in the control cabinet.

Can't say I've checked into a Haas of similar vintage, but keep in mind that older controllers are no longer repairable, except with a complete control replacement.

I'd assume you're getting a 50 taper if you go Haas, which could be a nice plus, and the Fadal maxes out at 250 IPM, but like I said, you gotta do the math and see what those numbers mean for your business. Might be easier to get probing onto the Haas as well, not much hardware floating around these days to get that onto a Fadal, and you'll have to integrate it yourself. My bet is from an overall accuracy standpoint they're probably gonna be basically the same.

A 2010 Fadal is basically the same as a 1980s Fadal (maybe a little faster processor and motors), but a 2010 Haas is a totally different animal than a 1990. It's pretty hard to blanket compare those. An older Haas will likely be on par with the Fadal, a newer one will likely be somewhere between a little and a lot better. But it's basically impossible to say whether it's worth the money [I]to you/I], without talking details of the work you'll be doing with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bobw knows more specifics, but I would presume they are talking about a 32MP control. The one with a Windows computer running along side the Fadal.

These were based on the -6 CPU card I think. There is an industrial PC that runs windows too. I think the intent was to run MasterCAM on the PC and be able to post directly on the machine. AFAIK, the 32MP will work like other Fadals, but there may be some caveats.

I wrote up the SuperCPU here: Fadal Super CPU???

Hell, I had to go back and search for that, my memory banks almost completely purged anything associated with that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where are you located. I know of a guy with a fadal 6030 with a 4th axis. Wants 14k for it in western wisconsin.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Check out some Fadal's for sale with Revelation Machinery

I would say go used! We have two Fadal 6030's in stock right now but we have plenty of other options in our inventory to pick from. One of the 6030's is in the price range you are looking for and has a 10k rpm spindle which is new. We have CNC experts who can point you in the right direction. Check us out and see if anything interests you. Or send us a message and we can chat!

Have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

I have a 6030 in Ca. That I would be willing to sell very inexpensively. I got it with a 3016 that I wanted badly.

We moved it out of a shop that ran it often. They are moving and decided to replace them with more modern machines instead of moving them. If interested please reach out. [email protected]