What's new
What's new

fadal 6030 lift with crane

Kevinstj

Cast Iron
looking at purchasing a 6030.I have briefly looked through a maintenance manual on line. Some of the info is wishy washy. For instance the manual says "VMCs 5, 10, 15, and 15XT are NOT intended to be lifted by a crane." But the picture of the machine show the hole in the counterweight are for lifting with a crane.

The manual says use the hole in the counterweight and (2) eye bolts in the front of the machine for lifting with a crane.
Have any of you guys lifted a 6030 with a crane.

Thanks

You can bet they crane them at the factory but a few times we have found the rig points to be inaccessible or practical once the enclosure is installed.

Unless you have a specific need to crane, I would caution you unless you have experience with crane rigging. There are lots of ways to do it wrong and become quite dangerous. If the math is done properly, it can be quite safe.

Didn't reply sooner because I was not sure I'd be able to find this....

6030 in the air_resized.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, it's scanned from an old real film type picture taken during those sad dark years that I had to do field service on Fadals.

Easy to crane rig. Remove Y axis cover with table moved close to the column. Couple screw eyes (have forgotten what size) and the front is good. Column has a hole for a rigging bar. Pick through the pile of slings until you find 2 sets of appropriate length and you are ready to pick.

Personally, I usually preferred it to have machines taken out of crates or unloaded from the truck by crane. Never saw a crane rigged machine fall. I have seen a three forklift rigged machines tipped over. Two of those went all the way on their side or back and suffered significant damage. One was stopped by hitting a building column so other a few damaged pieces of sheetmetal it was essentially unharmed. Of course most machines are forklift rigged so on a percentage basis this comparison is useless.

I moved my Mori MV-65 myself with a Landoll trailer. MV-65B is about the same travels as a 6030 Fadal, but twice the weight and HP. Pretty easy overall. Cost me $600 to rig it.

The twin MV-65B to mine was bought by a dealer who hired riggers and a crane company. They spent over $10k on crane and riggers for loading, transport and unload to move the same machine about the same distance.

Cranes are expensive. I bought a Bliss press that weighs 21 tons and didn't feel comfortable moving it without a crane. I hired Ness Campbell and they did a great job, but the move cost me far more than if I could have moved the press any other way.

I moved my Mori MV-65 myself with a Landoll trailer. MV-65B is about the same travels as a 6030 Fadal, but twice the weight and HP. Pretty easy overall. Cost me $600 to rig it.

The twin MV-65B to mine was bought by a dealer who hired riggers and a crane company. They spent over $10k on crane and riggers for loading, transport and unload to move the same machine about the same distance.

Cranes are expensive. I bought a Bliss press that weighs 21 tons and didn't feel comfortable moving it without a crane. I hired Ness Campbell and they did a great job, but the move cost me far more than if I could have moved the press any other way.

Like a Landoll kneeling trailer?

I did a 4020 lifting from the top with a fairly large payloader. It is a 3 point lift setup.
We stuck a solid shaft through where the blue circle is. you can fix the spindle to the casting using the lower 2 holes. The front hole is for storage of the pin, the hole towards the back is used for transport and locks the spindle to the casting. ( you should check and see of this pin is still on the machine, otherwise a piece of shaft will work for this also). That is the back lift point. The front 2 lift points can be accessed under the y axis way covers. If you pull he covers all the way back there are 2 1" bolts i believe. You can see what i used to screw into these 2 1" bolts with a chain link welded to it. The fadal manual goes over this, but it was not really clear when i had to figure it out.

20190222_073909(1).jpg20190222_073921.jpgCapture.jpg

I don't mean to anal Al here but I would NOT be doing a lift with the above fabbed hooks. Use appropriate rigging for your own safety. Been spec'ing and doing critical lifts for many years. A guy lost both his feet using something like above.

Back