What's new
What's new

Fadal 88 to 88HS conversion, is it possible?

SShep71

Hot Rolled
The search did not reveal much so I am hoping there is someone out there with some more information. I currently have a 1994 3016 with a 88HS control on it, the control has an upgraded 128k memory board (yes, I know 128k...WOW!!!), the machine has a 4th axis on it and I spent quite a bit of time cleaning and rebuilding the machine previously. The machine works well and it doesn't really have any problems other than it goes through way oil quick. Just today I was given the opportunity to buy a earlier 4020 with extended Z, but it only has an CNC-88 controller on it. I wanted to get some opinions on if I can swap my 88HS controller to that machine or would there be too many differences in wiring/parts/etc. I already know for the LOW LOW price of 8k I can get the latest and greatest 527F or NextGen controller for the machine, but I do not have or want to spend that money. I would like the ability to do some surfacing on my machine so the 88HS is nice, but is it as simple as plug-n-play or is this a disaster waiting to happen. The only reason I am considering this machine is that I would like the additional travel as the 3016 is small for some of the projects I would like to do, plus the extra Z is nice with the 4th axis. The price for the 4020 is...well..exceptionally good. I appreciate the help as this is a good chance to up my capabilities a little.

Fadal used to offer factory rebuilt machines, and so far as I know they would upgrade the control when they did it. Outside of fadal I don't think anybody has done it.

I think the most economical choice would be to leave the controller alone and drip feed the machine. I do this all the time on the fadal 88 control, no problem with it keeping up even on complex 3d parts.

I gota fadal -5 system on my 40-20 fadal. before I bought it they put it in. works fine also had them put in a 16meg card with it. before that I had a 92 fadal with standard hs control. it worked just fine drip feeding no faster than my current one with 16 megs. Never had a problem drip feeding mater of fact ones I got the machine ready to drip feed, part loaded up tools set etc etc. I just sent the file and it started the machine never had to leave the office until part was done rand 8 meg files with no issues.

Ive ran 50+ hr drip feed files upwards of 250mb on my Fadals.
Just makes sure the PC end is setup correctly (no sleep or hibernate).

I think the main difference between the 88 and 88 HS is block processing speed.
If you can get away with CAM filtering, youll likely be fine.

The cost to upgrade to an 88HS system will likely be getting close to the 527 unless to can slowly cobble together used components from ebay and craigslist.
For minimal gains in reality.

Theres a reason moldmakers loved the Fadals back in the day.

I was going to just swap parts from one machine to the other, then sell off the 3016. I have no plans of buying the updated system, just doing a swap.

Look in the control pendant and see if they look different, running new wires between the pendant and the card cabinet would be an ass ache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back