What's new
What's new

Fadal 88HS Looking for a test run program for purchase checkout

Hot Headz Marine

Hot Rolled
Hello all, Ive got a 2005 Fadal 4020 w\88HS controls I am going to check out Saturday and was wondering if someone here could shoot from the hip a test run program I could use to see if the machine runs like it should.

I am quite a novice. Thanks in advance.
Lewis

Hi Lewis. You're moving up in the world! I think that's a good choice for you.

I can't offer a Fadal program, but Bobw will have something for you if he sees this thread. :cheers:

LOL... Thank you. Seller is pretty open it seems and will run a part program he said. Has all the books and history. says it only has 600 hours on it.. said always ran aluminum. sounds like the pretty standard BS lines. I did question 600 hours being maybe 6000 or more and he said no as he bought it long ago with very low hours. I will listen to the motors and such and my gut will tell the rest even if it moves quietly through its paces. Any input on not getting screwed again?

Hi Lewis. You're moving up in the world! I think that's a good choice for you.

I can't offer a Fadal program, but Bobw will have something for you if he sees this thread. :cheers:

Seller states its pretty close to fanuc.. just uses space bar a lot. ????
Yeah, they are the same thing only different.

Minor differences, the rules are the same. Since you are learning from scratch, you don't have to unlearn the fanuc codes.

Lots of Fadal people here, no problem getting questions answered.

Great. Thank you.

Yeah, they are the same thing only different.

Minor differences, the rules are the same. Since you are learning from scratch, you don't have to unlearn the fanuc codes.

Lots of Fadal people here, no problem getting questions answered.

I would ask the seller to take the X axis way covers off and running the table from one end to the other and see if the x axis ways are nice, same with the front Y axis cover.
If the ways are good, everything else except possibly the turcite is easy to obtain and relatively cheap( compared to other brands)

Check out ITSCNC and KMAC for prices on things like spindle drives, ball screws and spindles , you hope that what you buy will be good, but eventually may need them.
Even if you do a complete rebuild, you will be many 10s of thousands less than a new similar sized machine ( of course the new machine will be lots faster and not have a CRT :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shoot me a pm with your email I think I can send you a test program or something useful if you like. You’ll just have to input some offsets. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you pm me I’ll send you my contact info.

I dont know how to PM on here.. I forgot.. LOL... [email protected]
Thank you very much for the help.

Shoot me a pm with your email I think I can send you a test program or something useful if you like. You’ll just have to input some offsets. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you pm me I’ll send you my contact info.

2004 Fadal 4020 adding a 4rth axis?

Hello all, I pulled the trigger and bought the fadal 4020. Delivery is next week sometime. Was wondering... this machine isn't wired for a 4rth.. I'm wondering if its just to involved to try and do it? Also was planning on adding a Reinshaw probe.. anyone here have experience with such add-ons and if so whats your thoughts?

Thanks

I just got a Fadal , mine came with the 4th axis control card and servo drive, but no actual rotary. I have been told that it’s about $3000-4000 just to add the drive and controller card and associated wiring, no rotary axis.
A couple good places to know about:
Jennifer and Dan at ITSCnc.com and Kevin at KMAC, both are great places to buy Fadal stuff, very nice people and they have their act together, they have stuff in stock and ship fast. Dan seems to take pride in making you feel stupid, but the fact that these machines are still so well supported is amazing.

There are a couple posts on adding probing, unless you ebay the components, that will cost you about $5k too.... welcome to the world of VMCs, and Fadals are dirt cheap compared to Jap stuff ($3500 vs 20,000 for a spindle)

Edit, pwi(posting while intoxicated) its Keith at KMAC, not Kevin, you’d think I remember that as it’s my name too :)

Hello all, I pulled the trigger and bought the fadal 4020. Delivery is next week sometime. Was wondering... this machine isn't wired for a 4rth.. I'm wondering if its just to involved to try and do it? Also was planning on adding a Reinshaw probe.. anyone here have experience with such add-ons and if so whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Just added a 4th Axis to my 98 Fadal. Found a rotary on the fadal group on Facebook for $4200 delivered which included the VH165 AC rotary, servo amp, controller card, 5c closer setup and a 3 jaw chuck. Smoking deal but they can be found online. Now the wiring kit I purchased from itscnc.com for about 800. Overall the install took about 4 hours while taking my sweet time.

Probe is planned in the future once I have some more paying jobs for machine but I also have it in a home garage for fun.

Great information, not too bad at all on cost.
I really need to spend time understanding how to operate it. Total novice here.
Any advice on programming this thing to get used to it. . Do's and don'ts? Thanks.

I just got a Fadal , mine came with the 4th axis control card and servo drive, but no actual rotary. I have been told that it’s about $3000-4000 just to add the drive and controller card and associated wiring, no rotary axis.
A couple good places to know about:
Jennifer and Dan at ITSCnc.com and Kevin at KMAC, both are great places to buy Fadal stuff, very nice people and they have their act together, they have stuff in stock and ship fast. Dan seems to take pride in making you feel stupid, but the fact that these machines are still so well supported is amazing.

There are a couple posts on adding probing, unless you ebay the components, that will cost you about $5k too.... welcome to the world of VMCs, and Fadals are dirt cheap compared to Jap stuff ($3500 vs 20,000 for a spindle)

Edit, pwi(posting while intoxicated) its Keith at KMAC, not Kevin, you’d think I remember that as it’s my name too :)

Noise in spindle.

Can I get some of you to look at this video and tell me what the noise might be on the spindle run?
bad bearings, air leak? or?

I haven't closed on this unit yet.
4 axis, tap-o-matic? Rein-shaw included.

YouTube

Can I get some of you to look at this video and tell me what the noise might be on the spindle run?
bad bearings, air leak? or?

I haven't closed on this unit yet.
4 axis, tap-o-matic? Rein-shaw included.

YouTube

Nothing wrong with the spindle as far as I can tell, quiter than mine which has been noisier for the last 6-8000 hours.

If it has an 88HS and it's a 2004 it might have been rebuilt at some point. If it was older than maybe 1994 it will be a DC servo machine, later will be AC servo

IMO if you're paying dealer price, you want to see those ways before you buy. This thing should be essentially pristine for the price dealers charge. At the very least, run an indicator over the table to figure out if it's running perpendicular to the spindle. Mine is a '98 and is out about 0.0002"/inch (probably due to a late Turcite replacement) along both X and Y. I got it really cheap (bought sight unseen) and it's not a problem for me as everything goes on a faced pallet or in custom cut jaws. If you're paying full price you may not feel the same.

Seems fine it is an older machine though. No way it’s 2000s era though. The silver monitor dates it to for sure a dc era machine.

NEVER turn the spindle on with out a tool in it. The tool change piston could still be in contact
with the drawbar. The tool change piston doesn't spin, the draw bar does.

If there is a tool in the spindle, there will always be clearance between the piston and
the drawbar. If there isn't a tool in the spindle, its a toss up, and if they are touching,
it doesn't sound pretty.

Back