What's new
What's new

AC Tech VFD Going into Current Limit Fault

Brezzy

Plastic
Hello,

I have an AC Tech VFD that is part of a CNC lathe that has been working well, but recently has been starting to crap out after some time of being powered. The problem begins on motor start. The motor will start to turn very slowly, a horrible ringing will emanate from the motor, and the VFD will indicate a current limit fault. If I power off the lathe for a while and then restart, things will work fine, but the problem comes back. Today it only took about 15 minutes to act up. The day before I was operating the VFD the whole day.

I'm looking for ideas on what could be the problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello,

I have an AC Tech VFD that is part of a CNC lathe that has been working well, but recently has been starting to crap out after some time of being powered. The problem begins on motor start. The motor will start to turn very slowly, a horrible ringing will emanate from the motor, and the VFD will indicate a current limit fault. If I power off the lathe for a while and then restart, things will work fine, but the problem comes back. Today it only took about 15 minutes to act up. The day before I was operating the VFD the whole day.

I'm looking for ideas on what could be the problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Time for a new VFD. Likely the IBGT is starting to fail. Either high leakage or a sticky gate. Either way complete failure is imminent.

Back