What's new
What's new

Fadal board pictures, please tell me if they are compatible

ripperj

Stainless
In my on-going saga of adding rigid tapping to my 93 VMC 20 with DC drives.
I bought the machine a couple months ago. It was having some weird spindle drive issues that I seem to have sorted out (with the original not rigid tap spindle drive)

The machine had a 1400-4 cpu card and a 1010-1 spindle drive card (not rigid tapping capable)

I bought a 1010-4 spindle card with rigid tapping EPROMs from ITSCNC. I also bought the max memory upgrade(422k) for the cpu

As I have mentioned in other posts- adding rigid tapping is kicking my butt. I don’t normally have hours upon hours uninterrupted, but today I decided to get it done.

I checked every wire, connector , and jumper , parameter in the drive and the CNC. A few weeks back I was thinking something wasn’t right in the cnc parameters, but I’m new at this Fadal thing.

I need to call ITS next week and ask them a simple question, but if someone here knows the answer, I’ll keep looking for another problem, I have the rest of today and tomorrow to spend on this.

My CPU card is 1400-4 , but I think some weasel swapped the EPROMs for an older version that does not support rigid tapping ? There is no parameter y/n for rigid tapping and the gain and ramp parameters that I thought were for rigid tapping may be for the other drives??

Can CPU EPROMs version V91.3f-3 work with rigid tap EPROMs V92.1Z?

Based on the fact that the machine had the WIR-0160 (rigid tapping cable) running between the CPU cabinet and the drive cabinet, had an encoder and cable run to the Baldor H2 Vector drive, I had assumed that the seller took the rigid tapping spindle card .
I never dawned on me that someone may have swapped the CPU EPROMs too

I had asked ITSCNC if the rigid tapping spindle card was compatible with all 1400-4 cpu cards and was told yes, but they obviously wouldn’t know if something weird happened to the EPROMs

Is there supposed to be a parameter that says a rigid Tap y/n ( I saw Bob posted in another thread that there was, but he was just saying how easy Fadal parameter setup was, but I wasn’t sure if it was a real example)

Sorry for the long post, I’m about to give up(hard for me to do) and just buy a bunch of compression tap holders
Keith
02b5df1a67ed727607bdbd8413d31b40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Should have mentioned
When I try and run the spindle now, the spindle never turns, I hear 3 small relays??(clicks) picking up or dropping out, and get and Emergency Stop and spindle overload.
If I put the original spindle card back in , all is good

As far as I am aware you have to have a spindle drive that is rigid tap capable. if you dont you need to get one.
if you have the org drive in it and its not rigid tap capable its not going to work no mater what you do

The rigid tap spindle card is in now(or was) it’s on the bench for these pics.
The question is the rigid tap spindle card version compatible with an older version of the CNC88HS firmware?

Edit
The two cards I’m trying to use together are in the pic

You may have too old of a software version. You should have a parameter in setp that literally says rigid tap yes or no.

It’s on the right mine say high torque/ rigid tap

There are other settings aswell. It’s not as easy as just adding a rigid tap card to a normal machine.

ba456c29cfa6a685832354d5f05c7b09.jpg

Need to make sure you actually have the correct encoder. Then you need to program the Baldor drive correctly. I think I have instructions somewhere. Then make sure you machine software is new enough. Then there are a few parameters that need to be adjusted including rpm factor and some others.

Thanks a lot
I’m pretty sure that I don’t have that High torque rigid option.
I’ll talk to ITS and get the latest EPROMs, then I’ll make sure I have the correct resolution encoder, right now I can’t get far enough to try it.
I have the setup sheet for the drive.

Again , thanks . I was pulling my hair out. It’s easy to go down the wrong path when your starting point is not what you thought.

Thanks a lot
I’m pretty sure that I don’t have that High torque rigid option.
I’ll talk to ITS and get the latest EPROMs, then I’ll make sure I have the correct resolution encoder, right now I can’t get far enough to try it.
I have the setup sheet for the drive.

Again , thanks . I was pulling my hair out. It’s easy to go down the wrong path when your starting point is not what you thought.

At least upgrading the eproms on the 1400 card is alot cheaper than rigid tap eproms. No clue why the difference.

Couldnt live without my rigid tapping on the fadal.

Its is your 1610-1 thats too old not an eeprom

What’s your confidence level on that? I be pretty excited if that’s the case.
It was the 1610-1 board I was asking if it had too old a firmware version. There is a sticker on mine that mentioned EPROMs , I should have been more clear when throwing the word around.

Thanks for helping out

I seem to have some weird version, got off the phone with ITS and I should have the High Torque/ Rigid option like Ian posted.
I bought version 96, Dan said that’s the one they recommend with -4 cards.
Here’s my page two
55d4054ec19dd7cbf43b99b538eb3c03.jpg
6ac72dc32b94595e76925e8b08f8b719.jpg

What happens if you activate the Hi-Torque option? Does it magically apply the rigid tap option?

I should try it before I put the new card in just in case someone else runs into the same bind.

Back