What's new
What's new

Fadal CNC 88HS Z soft limit

ripperj

Stainless
From what I read, it appears if I try and restrict the max Z + travel by messing with soft limits, it will affect zero and tool change position??
Is there a way to reduce Z max positive 1” without screwing up the Cold Start position?

Thanks
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Already been said, but I'll say it again.

If you limit the Z one inch lower, you won't even have to worry about tool changes,
tools in the carousel won't fit under the spindle. Do a TC,1, there is maybe 3/8"
of clearance from the pull stud to the spindle face.

I'm assuming this is a ceiling clearance issue. If you don't want to or can't cut
a hole in the ceiling, this is what I would do.

Make a spacer and space the tool carousel down 1", then add a sheet metal strip
to the "umbrella" so the tools are still shielded (as well as they can be).

Then move your cold start position down 1". Should work fine, the only thing
you would have to worry about is you could over travel going down, but that
shouldn't be a big deal, I don't ever think I've hit the Z negative soft limit
in my life.

Another consideration on the 1". You may have to spin your resolver or encoder to
get the carousel to line up with your spindle, or you could just make your drop
a multiple of the lead screw pitch and not worry about it.

This would also be quick and easy to remove and return the machine to factory
configuration if you ever move to place with a respectable ceiling height, or
sell it.

I just cut a hole in the ceiling. You can’t limit the z and still have tool changes work.

Then my next procedure was to build a shop with 12 foot ceilings.

But seriously I would look at modifying the fans and cover on top of the spindle motor that still leaves the cable chain but were I’m going to school right now the haas machines actually have the cable chain just touch the ceiling a bit on full z pos. So that should be fine.

Thanks for all the input. I already have a big hole for the cable chain. It’s the joist that’s in the way. I can certainly modify the fan filter , I was just researching options.

Edit - deleted stupid comment I made, I was missing the big flick on clearing the other tools in the changer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back