Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fadal CNC88HS testing with restricted Z height

Before I drag my new to me Fadal VMC 20 with CNC88HS to its final resting place,(itís in my shop, just not in correct place) I want to power it up and test it as much as possible.

I donít want to hack a hole in the ceiling in its current location to allow full Z travel.

I have never used this control before, but have read the manuals and watched videos.

It would seem I can power the machine , hit the green reset button on the back and then jog the axis and run the spindle?? Initiating a tool changer will be bad as the cable chain will get mashed against the ceiling.

If things donít go as planned, hitting the red slide hold button should stop axis motion and E-stop will shut down the servos and the spindle too- right?

As long as I donít Cold Start with restricted Z I should be ok???

Thanks

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can cold start the machine with the z lower than it should be. But then the axis stop will not be set correctly and you can easily over travel. But it will allow you to do everything you want and it actually wonít let the z go more than 4Ē up from wherever you cold start. Be wary though a tool change will crash the atc. The x and y will be set appropriately to allow you to work the axis and test everything out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like Lanagos said, you can CS it anywhere (which can be a BAD thing), but in your case,
    not a bad thing.

And if you do crash the tool changer, its no big deal, I've had them crash quite
    the number of times and never a problem. They just bump into the head or the spindle,
    and then retract with an error about 20 seconds later.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys, Bob- thatís good to know, but Iím going to have a trigger finger on the e-stop! Slide stop???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro