What's new
What's new

Fadal Leak right under where your feet would go

Dave K

Diamond
I have a 1999 Fadal where the way covers on the Y axis got a little bent up. This is in the front of the table, not the back. I was able to pound them straight enough to function again, but now the machine has a leak right were your feet are when you're working on the machine.

Anyone ever have this area taken apart? I'm assuming there's some sort of gasket seal that got demolished? Can anyone explain how to fix that seal back up?

Thanks!!

Not likely related to the way covers. Clean up all the sheet metal joins and seal them up with polyurethane caulking. Wouldn't hurt to pull the Y axis cover to get better access.

Mine leaked there in the front like this too when I got it. I used DAP polyurethane and its holding up awesome. Most people recommend Sikaflex.

Not likely related to the way covers. Clean up all the sheet metal joins and seal them up with polyurethane caulking. Wouldn't hurt to pull the Y axis cover to get better access.

Mine leaked there in the front like this too when I got it. I used DAP polyurethane and its holding up awesome. Most people recommend Sikaflex.

It never leaked before until the way cover kinda buckled up on me. That's why I was thinking it's the way covers.

It never leaked before until the way cover kinda buckled up on me. That's why I was thinking it's the way covers.

Maybe knocked something loose when the cover got damaged? Something get jammed up and push on a panel?

Im pretty sure I sealed mine up from the inside of the machine without taking that stainless panel off. Just went around the edges. Might want to look at the seal between floor and casting too.

Hi,
Coolant is running thru the waycover and pooling in the casting up and running down the back of the base, go around back and look, i bet you will see coolant, it just happens your floor is running it back to your feet. you need to work more on the way covers.

Maybe knocked something loose when the cover got damaged? Something get jammed up and push on a panel?

Im pretty sure I sealed mine up from the inside of the machine without taking that stainless panel off. Just went around the edges. Might want to look at the seal between floor and casting too.

Ok, I'll check that out. I wish I knew what really happened to it, but it happened when my part time guy was running it, and he didn't really know why it happened.

Hi,
Coolant is running thru the waycover and pooling in the casting up and running down the back of the base, go around back and look, i bet you will see coolant, it just happens your floor is running it back to your feet. you need to work more on the way covers.

There is no coolant in the back at all.

Well, if it is not going thru the way cover and filling the base up, then it seems you need to clean the floor and get ya a flash light and track it down.
I am going to go with everyone else and say the front must have pushed out during the way cover incident? let us know what you find.

There are a couple threaded holes in the casting right under the front Y way cover inside the Y ways for rigging the machine. See if the big set screws are in the holes, if not, any coolant leaking thru the way cover will run thru the holes to the floor by the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

what happens is some one has something sticking out too far
on the y axis and it whacks into the front sheet metal
that breaks the seal at some point.

so you pull that part of the cover off clean the old sealant off,
straighten every thing out apply new sealant and bolt it back on.

mine leaked there when I got
and that's how it was fixed.

It's just part of it being a Fadal most of them have leaked there at one time
given the nature of people who punch the green button.

some people get wise and set a limit so it can't do that

what happens is some one has something sticking out too far
on the y axis and it whacks into the front sheet metal
that breaks the seal at some point.

so you pull that part of the cover off clean the old sealant off,
straighten every thing out apply new sealant and bolt it back on.

mine leaked there when I got
and that's how it was fixed.

It's just part of it being a Fadal most of them have leaked there at one time
given the nature of people who punch the green button.

some people get wise and set a limit so it can't do that

Thats exactly what happens usually its the hand that is left on the vise, then when the y goes home the handle may or manynot flip if it does you have bent front sheet metal..
My 10 year old Daughter fixed mine back in 2009 hasnt leaked since. took sheet metal off scraped it cleaned it resealed it and done. took her a few hours but she was 10.

Back