What's new
What's new

Fadal odd move in G41

garychipmaker

Cast Iron
I'm getting a odd move in g41 while milling a groove in a triangle pattern. At the end of the last move which is from X -1.456 Y0 to
X-2.235 Y0 which is back to the start of the groove. The problem is the machine makes a Y move from y-.0625 on the screen which is half the .125" endmill to Y+ .042 before the Z+.25 move. Which gouges the side of the groove made by the first line in the program
from X-2.235 Y0 to X0 Y3.0 I would have used G1 moves but the design has another triangle pattern within the outer triangle so I thought the G41 would be easier. as always Thanks for your help

Hello Ed,
Post a copy of your program here for the Forum Members to look at.

Regards,

Bill

Gary is the one with the problem.

When I was first learning G code and cutter comp I made the mistake of putting G40 before the Z clearance move. As the cutter was rising to the clearance it was moving sideways to the center of the tool. After a couple broken tools I figured out you have to clear the part THEN cancel comp with G40.

Ed.

I think I know what happened. On the last move the machine wants to go to the end of the line you have programmed not allowing for any tangent points.
Did the cutter appear to go half its diameter beyond where you wanted it to stop?
Ed.

Gary is the one with the problem.

When I was first learning G code and cutter comp I made the mistake of putting G40 before the Z clearance move. As the cutter was rising to the clearance it was moving sideways to the center of the tool. After a couple broken tools I figured out you have to clear the part THEN cancel comp with G40.

Ed.

Hello Ed,
Sorry about the name confusion; I looked at Gary's reply to your Post and inadvertently focused on the name Ed.

What you're saying above about cancelling CR Comp above is unusual at best and improbable in my experience. I would wager that there was something else in the format of your program that caused that behavior.

I can't say that I've ever seen a programming example of using and cancelling CR Comp in any programming manual for Fanuc, Yasnac, Okuma etc., where the CR Comp has been cancelled after retracting to a Z level clear of the part. There are examples in Fadal Manuals and how the tool movement performs is contingent on whether Format1 or Format2 is selected for operation, but there are many program examples showing CRC being applied and cancelled in an X and or Y move.

Regards,

Bill

I think I found the problem it had to do with the lead-in.I was starting in the left corner of the triangle and changed to a 90 move from the bottom of the triangle. Thanks guys

Back