FADAL resetting/restarting when going to auto mode
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default FADAL resetting/restarting when going to auto mode

I've owned FADAL's for more than a decade and haven't experienced this yet, hope someone can help me out.

Issue: Perform normal cold start, go to part home position and the machine doesn't move and goes into restart. CS menu comes back up. This is going to be difficult to walk through, but I'll try to do a thorough description. After the fault, if you go straight into jog mode, there is a following error building up. No movement though. If you move the axis, it jumps and then moves. So the commanded move is processing in the CPU, but the axis isn't moving. This is even after a reboot. Swapped CPU board, program module, removed expanded memory, installed new power supply, re-seated all boards, confirmed all voltages. Nothing has changed.

Here's the kicker, after the machine warms up, or runs for some time, it operates just fine. If you run the machine for a good day, it will fire right up the next morning. Let it sit a week, then it won't start up for 10-15 minutes of jacking around. It's like something is needing a recharge to function properly. Only thing I've experienced is the battery on the CPU board. This one is less than 3 yrs old and still reading 3.6v. Is there anything else in the drive circuitry that can loose a charge during idle time that would prevent it from working immediately?

In short, all the drives boot up, can CS the mill, and operate manually. It won't go into automatic operation until it "warms" up. This has my factory trained FADAL tech baffled too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you buy that new fancy power supply? Or did you just grab the cheapest
    PC POS you could find on New Egg.. I used to love the PC power supplies.
    Then I got one machine that would just NOT work properly on a PC power supply.

Are all axis sitting and then jumping when trying to jog??

Voltages coming from the transformer OK?

Tighten everything up from the switch box all
    the way back to the panel?

Swap all the relays? You can usually pull the coolant ones and check with those.

Have you tried jumping the e-stop circuit, there is a bunch of stuff along that
    that can do weird stuff.. I *think* its F12 to F14, its in the manual, it might
    even be in the trouble shooting chart.

If she's happy when she's warm, maybe try a drop light and a big desiccant bag in the
    cabinet over the weekend.

Have you picked up the phone and tried FadalCNC and ITS tech support? It might be
    something they've seen.

Those are the things that I would check, given the info.. I don't know if it was
    any help?

thinking some more, if its dropping out and then coming right back up, your power supply
    is losing power.. Is that because of a massive draw, or is something shutting off??
    Maybe try running the power supply off of a separate 120v line.

Maybe try changing out all the low voltage fuses.. An old bandit, many years ago,
    kept dropping out.. It was a fuse, those stupid little glass ones. The filament
    had become un-soldered in one end, and most of the time it was connected, and then
    it wouldn't be.. Absolute pure luck that I found that.

3. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bob for the reply.

Yes fancy new PS from ITS.

Looks like it's going to be some hunting and pecking to see whats acting up. Yes it is in an unconditioned shop, but none of the other mills including this one exhibited this behavior before.

I appreciate your insight.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thinking about this some more...

Something is really drawing voltage down (obviously), otherwise the machine wouldn't try restarting itself.
    However its not pulling enough voltage that the relay on the power supply is kicking out..

I'm trying to think what would trigger a voltage drop when you put the machine into auto, and I
    can't think of anything.

The big following errors and not moving..... Have you checked to make sure your ballscrews are
    all moving freely??

If you could track your voltages, ALL of them (or at least maybe one at a time).. That could at
    least point you in a direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update: Yesterday spent some time getting the incoming AC voltage a bit more balanced from the transformer. Machine voltages agree with the trouble shooting chart in manual. No change. Replaced all glass fuses on power distribution board, 1100, that were control related and the overall board supply fuse. Machine fired up and ran the first time! Rebooted three more times and golden.

Update2: This morning no dice. Same issue.

Seems like it is on the power distribution board, so I'll go through the relays on it today.

Dave

7. Likes Bobw liked this post