What's new
What's new

Fadal spindle card upgrade -1 to -4 issues

ripperj

Stainless
I have a 93 VMC 20
Baldor H2 Vector Drive
Original -1 spindle card works fine in V/F mode.
I bought a refurbished -4 card with rigid tapping EPROMs from ITS. I installed the card , replaced the spindle motor encoder and checked all the wiring. It appears to be wired correctly.
I set all the drive parameters per the rigid tapping section.
I could not get the spindle to run at all, immediately get an E-stop error with drive over-current.
I put the original spindle card back and changed parameters for the drive back to non rigid tapping V/F mode (not using spindle encoder) and all is fine again.

I stuck the -4 spindle card in without changing the drive parameters, and it immediately goes out on overload. Should the -4 card work like the -1 ?
Am I missing something stupid?
Ready to blow it up :)
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

so you are trying to use a -4 card in a -1 machine?
as in it still has a -1 main board ?
don't know if that will work may need it all to be -4.

Monday when they open call ITS and ask them if that will work
ITS is about as good as you are going to get for tech support on that controller.

I should have been more specific
The processor is -4.

I just got the machine a few months ago, I think it was configured for rigid tapping, but the rigid tapping spindle control card was taken before I got the machine

I’m trying to add back rigid tapping, it’s kicking my butt.

I talked to Dan at ITS, he wants me to buy a new spindle drive. He basically said they don’t support the baldor. Good for them I guess.
It’s possible that’s there a problem with the drive. But it works perfectly when not in a closed loop mode that needs the encoder.
If the drive is bad I’ll buy a new one, but I don’t want to spend $3k if it’s a stupid parameter or connection

When running in Inverter mode, the speed signal from the encode to the drive is stable within 10 rpm( Manual says anything under 15 is good)

Thanks for looking

Thank you very much checking in.
Yes I have hard copies of both those manuals

I’m going to talk to ITS again and ask them the specific question- should the -4 card run in non-rigid rap mode with the same parameters as the -1 card? If the answer is yes, then the refurbished card is no good.

Back