What's new
What's new

Fadal Spindle Chiller replacement

ProjectZero

Aluminum
Hey guys -

I got a 2005 Fadal VMC 3016 back in 2016 and have been using it a lot lately. About 8 months ago I decided I wanted to start running it at 10k RPM (we are using 1/32 end mills for some really small features) and was cautioned to make sure I had a spindle chiller in place. My fadal didn't have one so I got a used chiller, tank, and pump, loaded in some dowfrost, and was off to the races. I was iffy about the chiller always because I plugged it in and NOTHING happened. Not a light not a beep not a hum, nothing. But my friend (gave it to me for free) assured me that it had a temp sensure and would come on when the coolant got warm.

So I've been doing a lot of 10k RPM machining now and after finishing a couple hours I felt the spindle. Not hot, but definitely warm. Then I pulled out the coolant felt the flow back into the tank. Definitely warm. And those danged chiller has never done anything but sit there like a cinder block. I'm pretty sure it's dead as a doornail and I don't want to burn out my spindle because the chiller wasn't keeping the spindle...well, chill.

FadalCNC sells a replacement for 1000 but I can't find any info on what sort of chiller it is and what its specs are. Anyone know of any cheaper 3rd party chiller units good for dowfrost?

Thanks!

Couple pictures of my current probable dud:

Image uploaded from iOS (10).jpg

Image uploaded from iOS (9).jpg

Its a water fountain chiller on the fadals. Made by Oasis.
Are you plugging it directly into a wall socket? And its not running?

I find it strange that your machine didnt come with a chiller. EVERY 10K fadal ive seen has a chiller.
There is also a small board in the main cabinet and thermal sensor that they use to control the chiller on\off if memory serves me correctly.
Running a chiller constantly might make the spindle sweat, and cause corrosion in places where you, well, dont want corrosion.

Its a water fountain chiller on the fadals. Made by Oasis.
Are you plugging it directly into a wall socket? And its not running?

I find it strange that your machine didnt come with a chiller. EVERY 10K fadal ive seen has a chiller.
There is also a small board in the main cabinet and thermal sensor that they use to control the chiller on\off if memory serves me correctly.
Running a chiller constantly might make the spindle sweat, and cause corrosion in places where you, well, dont want corrosion.

So something is supposed to happen when I plug the chiller in directly to power? A hum, or...something?

It was super weird, I went through this a while back when I was trying to get the chiller sorted so I could safely run it at 10k. The machine did not come with a chiller cabinet or anything. NOR does it have a chiller control card. Yet it definitely has a 10k spindle. Local Fadal servicer could not figure it out. Eventually we decided we'd set a tank/spindle/pump on the ground behind the machine and only plug the chiller in when I was running the mill.

The chiller shown is a common type we used on packaging machines to cool the sealer bars. Back then I think we got them through Grainger.

Simple refrigeration compressor with a thermostat and a tank that the water flows through to get cool. Jump out the thermostat and the compressor should run.

The chiller shown is a common type we used on packaging machines to cool the sealer bars. Back then I think we got them through Grainger.

Simple refrigeration compressor with a thermostat and a tank that the water flows through to get cool. Jump out the thermostat and the compressor should run.

What do you mean by 'jump out the thermostat'? Do I need to attach a separate thermostat?

What do you mean by 'jump out the thermostat'? Do I need to attach a separate thermostat?

He means you should find the thermostat wiring in the chiller (temperature sensor) and activate the circuit.

Usually there's a small contactor (a big relay) controlled by a thermostat, usually 24 volt control.
The contactor turns on the compressor and sometimes a fan too.

The compressor is most often just a standard hermetically sealed unit, similar to the ones used in window-air conditioning units and refrigerators.
You should hear a clunk or click from the contactor and a humming sound from the compressor when the thermostat is activated.

He means you should find the thermostat wiring in the chiller (temperature sensor) and activate the circuit.

Usually there's a small contactor (a big relay) controlled by a thermostat, usually 24 volt control.
The contactor turns on the compressor and sometimes a fan too.

The compressor is most often just a standard hermetically sealed unit, similar to the ones used in window-air conditioning units and refrigerators.
You should hear a clunk or click from the contactor and a humming sound from the compressor when the thermostat is activated.

I’m a man of few words, yep.

Back