What's new
What's new

Fadal spindle drive failing

triumph406

Diamond
I have a 4020 with the INV-0054 spindle drive that's failing.

On several occasions the spindle has stopped and coasted to a halt. It's happened while I was warming up the spindle at 3000rpm, it's happened a few times during a program. Evidently the drive sends a fault signal to the control, and the axis drives get disabled.

The last time it happened I took some pictures of the faults on the drives

IMG_5044.jpgIMG_5056.jpgIMG_5057.jpgIMG_5059.jpg

From the Baldor manual for the drive

HW Power Supply
Control Board power supply failure detected.

HW Desaturation
High output current condition detected (greater than 400% of rated output current). On B2
size controls, a desat error can indicate any of the following: low line impedance, brake
transistor failure or internal output transistor overtemperature.

3 SEC Overload
Peak output current exceeded the 3 second rating value.

The VHT motor has .4ohm resistance between legs, and has a resistance 3-400megohms for each leg to ground. The spindle turns very freely so there's no significant load there. Which might mean the HW Desaturation and 3 SEC Overloaderrors might be Red Herrings. I assume those errors may be tied to the HW Power Supply error.

So it appears that the drive is failing. Unfortuantly I don't have time to dive into the drive to try and find the bad components, I'm assuming as the drive is from 1996 it needs new caps, and maybe the IGBT's need to be checked.

So it appears that there's a Glentek inverter in the machines very near future. The advantage to the Glentek is that I can add rigid tapping to the machine, which I can't with the Baldor INV-0054 that's currently in the machine. That will require the correct Eproms and an encoder for the spindle motor.

Does anybody have any insight? I need to be up and running for a job that starts Monday/Tuesday so will getting a Glentek, but in the future I will see if I can fix the Baldor drive. What should I be looking for? I assume caps/resistors etc

Sell it on E-bay for parts.

I did that with a Mits Frequol out of a Fadal. Put it in an auction and I
got $250 plus shipping.

I might end up doing that, a buddy sent his baldor away to get fixed, he said it lasted 3 months before it crapped out again, he said don't waste my time trying to fix it.

Sell it on E-bay for parts.

I did that with a Mits Frequol out of a Fadal. Put it in an auction and I
got $250 plus shipping.

Thats pretty good. I tossed 2 in the dumpster that I had laying around in the shop for over 3 years, offered them free to anyone who needed parts no takers.
I was told to put them on ebay but didnt want to dick with it.

I might end up doing that, a buddy sent his baldor away to get fixed, he said it lasted 3 months before it crapped out again, he said don't waste my time trying to fix it.

your friends correct one of mine lasted 6 months or so. had a few back in the day that would last a year or 2 after a repair.

Never hurts to check for simple things. The charge resistor went in my Freqrol, cost like $20 to fix it, and it was very simple fix. Been running for 3-4 years since now. Mitsubishi makes very good electronics but they seem to have a bad name in Fadals. I often wonder how many were like mine that got tossed out because a $20 resistor was bad.

Never hurts to check for simple things. The charge resistor went in my Freqrol, cost like $20 to fix it, and it was very simple fix. Been running for 3-4 years since now. Mitsubishi makes very good electronics but they seem to have a bad name in Fadals. I often wonder how many were like mine that got tossed out because a $20 resistor was bad.

I opened up the drive as far as I could go, there was no obviuos signs of components failing. All the electrolytic caps looked OK no bulging,resistors looked all ok. I'll give it to a friend who knows his way around electronics to see if he can find anything wrong.

An advantage my friend has noticed with the Glentek, is that after he added rigid tapping the machines is much better at drilling and tapping large threads in steel. Adding the encoder and it's feedback means the spindle rpm is always being monitored by the Glentek. So drilling large holes in steel doesn't bog the spindle down anymore

Back