What's new
What's new

Fadal Spindle Inverter: Baldor Vector Drive Melt-Down... Complete w/ pictures.

twmcree

Aluminum
Hey ya'll

Spindle inverter shorted a half a revolution after calling M3.

A resistor inside inverter arced to a cap... a second resistor that did not arc has some exterior cracking...

Does anyone have schematics for the INV-0045.. or know the part numbers for the resistors? ... One of them appears to say 'Dale 10 ohm 5%'
Is it likely that the extent of the damage range further than failed resistors?
What are some possibilities for the overall culprit?

Side-notes:
- every once in a while she would fluctuate rpms when ramping up to 10000... been this way since I've owned er...
- she was not run over 7500 rpm today.

Appreciate your time.
WM

Attachments

• IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 152
just by a new one,less hassle and our machine is working right away.

I had 2 of those sitting in my shop for spare parts forever just tossed them a few months ago, one of them was ramping up and down also but during a continuous speed. called to get it rebuilt was almost as much as a new one. you might find one a bad one for parts on ebay

blew one up also and it was easier to just replace. The glentek one is a shit load lighter.

Your toasted resistor likely the result of a problem, not the cause of it. My guess is you have a shorted tranny somewhere that failed closed and resulted in a cascading failure. I could be totally wrong but if you are not familiar with troubleshooting electronics and have the proper test gear its likely cheaper and easier to buy a rebuilt unit.

I know nothing about Fadals but a little bit about electronics and drives.

Back