What's new
What's new

Fadal spindle stalls drilling tapping

sidetrack50

Aluminum
I'm hoping this isn't to serious but then the Fadal is used.

My spindle stalls while drilling a 1" hole even with a 1/2" pilot drilled and my 1/2-13 tap stalls also. Just got the programing figured out somewhat and started making chips. Tried running the drill at 500 rpm and f8, then f5, finally drilled the hole manually in jog mode and it kept trying to stall while I was feeding it. Tried different speeds and feeds with the tap but soon as it starts tapping it stalls. Any suggestions.

Mike, I don't think I could even hog anything with a end mill without it bogging down, it stalls then I get a 2 second reset. Mel

Have you lost a leg of incoming power?

or a belt slippage.

That I don't know, is that a possibility? I wired up the 3 phase converter and everything seems to work fine. If the belt slips would you still get a fault? All the axis work fine, atc is good, coolant pump works.

Its a possibility.

1 phase is used for computer equipment and pumps

2 of the phases are used for motion control

Only the spindle drive uses all 3 phase I believe. I had unique issues when I forgot to turn on my rotary and caused some issues with the tool changer due to location of fake leg.

I would check with a multimeter on the spindle drive to see what voltage you get between the 3 lugs in the back computer cabinet.

I think sidetrack50 is on to something.
I'd add checking amp draw on each leg.

Which configuration do you have: the version with high/low with belt change or the single speed?

I'm up in Mishawaka, IN-- where are you?

I think sidetrack50 is on to something.
I'd add checking amp draw on each leg.

Which configuration do you have: the version with high/low with belt change or the single speed?

I'm up in Mishawaka, IN-- where are you?

I don't want to take credit but Duc suggested the voltage issue with the spindle, I'm new to this machine but it does have the belt since I had the housing off the motor once. I'm located in Jeffersonville IN, shop is in Clarksville In, next to the river off 65, I have a 92 Fadal 4020

I'm hoping this isn't to serious but then the Fadal is used.

My spindle stalls while drilling a 1" hole even with a 1/2" pilot drilled and my 1/2-13 tap stalls also. Just got the programing figured out somewhat and started making chips. Tried running the drill at 500 rpm and f8, then f5, finally drilled the hole manually in jog mode and it kept trying to stall while I was feeding it. Tried different speeds and feeds with the tap but soon as it starts tapping it stalls. Any suggestions.

what is motor hp ?? obviously if you got 1.5hp or got 15.hp there is a big difference

This machining was running before I bought it, there's only three wires going to the shut off switch, so what would I be looking for or testing and what would cause one leg to disconnect? Do you test voltage on spindle running or not? Kinda lost on this one.

This machining was running before I bought it, there's only three wires going to the shut off switch, so what would I be looking for or testing and what would cause one leg to disconnect? Do you test voltage on spindle running or not? Kinda lost on this one.

First I would test inside the disconnect located on the back of the machine. This should be below the green start switch.

Guessing you have it wired to 208 3phase power.

With the disconnect powered up and machine running measure after the fuses on the lugs that go into the machine power cabinet. Should be the lowest lugs. This will check if a fuse is blow also.
Lug 1 to Lug 2 =
Lug 1 to Lug 3 =
Lug 2 to Lug 3 =

Can you also take a picture of your spindle drive unit that is located above the transformer? Picture of whole cabinet will do.

Who wired power to the machine? did they adjust for the incoming voltage level?

i saw once machine connected to 460 volts and was wired to take 230 volts. it made a strange arcing sound as the motor got burned out in roughly first minute it was turned on.
just saying got to check what motor was wired up to take and then check if you are supplying the power. with 3 phase even one fuse blown will sometimes start motor but at greatly reduced hp.

I know Fadals are basic, but I would be pretty shocked if it didn't alarm out from a lost phase or incorrect voltage.

Not knowing the past history of the machine, I'd check that the current limit hasn't been turned down on the spindle drive. Sometimes people do that to get a machine to run on a marginal or undersized phase converter, or as a workaround to borrow some time when the drive/motor/cabling is dying.

Back