What's new
What's new

Fadal Tool Length Offset Question

Kevinstj

Cast Iron
I am running a VMC 15XT (Format 2). I have never had to use a second fixture offset before. Here is the question. Is there a G-code I put in the second fixture offset to make all the tools higher or lower if the part height changes in the second fixture offset? Thanks, Hope I explained this correctly.

I am running a VMC 15XT (Format 2). I have never had to use a second fixture offset before. Here is the question. Is there a G-code I put in the second fixture offset to make all the tools higher or lower if the part height changes in the second fixture offset? Thanks, Hope I explained this correctly.

If your X and Y are the exact same and its just height then use E2(g55) make the x and Y numbers the same as E1(G54) and change your Z number in E2(g55) to the dimension needed.

so your program will no have E2(G55) instead of E1(G54)

If you are running a second offset, and need all your tools to be a different Z,
just put the difference in the Z register of the fixture offset, E2 or whatever.

It can get stupid confusing with all the different ways people set their Z,
and with a few rare exceptions, most of them are correct, just different.

Just remember, the Z offset in your tool table, and Z offset in your fixture
offset ADD.

Say you touch off your tools, just like you are doing now, on your part/fixture,
a number goes into your tool table. Now if you put a number into your fixture
offset of +1.000, all of your tools will run 1" higher.

Get your head wrapped around it, because the more you understand now,
the easier it will be later, and there are still days that I stand here
scratching my head trying to figure out which way whats going.

To keep it simple I probe all tools off the table height so they are negative values in the heights offset table. Then I measure the top of my fixture with probe and enter a positive number in the work offset z. That number essentially is equal to the height of the part from the top of the table.

If you need more clarification on how I do it on me and I can try to give more specific instructions.

If you put a value in the z fixture for E2 it will over run the tool change height. If you exceed the height of a tool the z will over travel and fault out
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you put a value in the z fixture for E2 it will over run the tool change height. If you exceed the height of a tool the z will over travel and fault out
Don

Well I do it all day and it works fine for me.

I do run the machine in format 2. It worked fine on my older fadal too and I’m sure it will work fine on my newer one once it gets hooked up.

Now of course if your part is too tall you can fault out the z but that’s rare and you will know when trying to probe your z offset.

b4cfb46c9d8238ad14a6b88010d0f35a.jpg
here is the proper code at tool change and end of program to keep it from over traveling the tool change height
Don

This is how I wrote it by hand last night. Don’t mind the weird g28 g91 x0 that was so I could clear the part before it went down to z 0 for tool change

a72fd21077acfdd3ce231d49299bd54f.jpg

b4cfb46c9d8238ad14a6b88010d0f35a.jpg
here is the proper code at tool change and end of program to keep it from over traveling the tool change height
Don

This is how I wrote it by hand last night. Don’t mind the weird g28 g91 x0 that was so I could clear the part before it went down to z 0 for tool change

a72fd21077acfdd3ce231d49299bd54f.jpg

What lines should I be paying attention to here? Nothing looks different from my code.

Probe question

To keep it simple I probe all tools off the table height so they are negative values in the heights offset table. Then I measure the top of my fixture with probe and enter a positive number in the work offset z. That number essentially is equal to the height of the part from the top of the table.

If you need more clarification on how I do it on me and I can try to give more specific instructions.

Can you explain some of how to use probe with fadal control? My other machine is centroid control very simple just got a fadal with renishaw probe need some clarification of the process. Maybe it's simple also but I'm new to it. Thanks

Can you explain some of how to use probe with fadal control? My other machine is centroid control very simple just got a fadal with renishaw probe need some clarification of the process. Maybe it's simple also but I'm new to it. Thanks

To effectively probe with fadal you need to write custom macros and probing routines.

Did you mean a spindle probe or table probe. Disregard my previous statement if you are talking about the tool probe.

Back