What's new
What's new

Fadal VMC 15XT - Why have two coolant pumps?

RC Mech

Stainless
Searched for this, Google and PM to no avail. Recently had a Fadal VMC 15XT dropped on our floor, 88HS control. Clean little machine.

There are two coolant pumps. 10k spindle. One has a mesh basket the pump head sits in, the other nothing. Why have two pumps? I can figure out which is the flood coolant pump but the other one appears to go into the head?

Machine has the typical Flood/Mist outlet on the back, with the Mist socket plugged. I didn't personally disconnect the machine from previous shop but apparently PO had both coolant pumps plugged into the wall :nutter:.

One to squirt coolant around the head and under the Y axis for thermal control, hey it's a Fadal. The tube squirting coolant under the Y axis will just fill it full of tiny chips so best to disable.

I've got 3 coolant pumps on my Chevalier.

One is the flood nozzles around the spindle, one is TSC, and one is flush nozzles in the enclosure to wash the chips into the conveyor.

Brilliant, I believe Speedie and David have it. There is a 110V plug on each pump.

This means that in addition to the closed system requiring the propylene glycol-base DowFrost, Fadal had another spindle chilling option that simply used miscible cutting fluid. I would assume it is this pump that should have the mesh intake filter.

Or it could be that someone added an extra pump we have done that on a few fadals.

only way to be forsure is to check the top of the spindle by pulleys that will tell if you have TSC or not.
The basket one is it a 2 stage? this is generally a higher pressure pump. again could be for TSC.

Didnt Fadal have some type of power wash down system at one point? I forget what they call it.

Or it could be that someone added an extra pump we have done that on a few fadals.

only way to be forsure is to check the top of the spindle by pulleys that will tell if you have TSC or not.
The basket one is it a 2 stage? this is generally a higher pressure pump. again could be for TSC.

Didnt Fadal have some type of power wash down system at one point? I forget what they call it.

Hydro-sweep.

Hydro-sweep.

I bought one of the hydrosweeps years ago..

That was a really bad decision.. I didn't realize the extensive
amount of sheet metal work that would need to done to retrofit it
to a standard machine.

So if anybody needs one, I've got one.. Also since nobody is ever
going to need it, is there anything fun I can do with the big spinning
drum???

Thats it hydrosweep as what I was thinking of.

I bought one of the hydrosweeps years ago..

So if anybody needs one, I've got one.. Also since nobody is ever
going to need it, is there anything fun I can do with the big spinning
drum???

Older kids that wont fit in a dryer anymore ;)

Both pumps are identical, “Gusher” something or other. From what I’ve seen in the Fadal parts manuals the TSC machines had a higher pressure pump w/a different config.

Hydrosweep had a (centrifugal?) drum unit? Sounds like quite the contraption.

Both pumps are identical, “Gusher” something or other. From what I’ve seen in the Fadal parts manuals the TSC machines had a higher pressure pump w/a different config.

Hydrosweep had a (centrifugal?) drum unit? Sounds like quite the contraption.

Its a total cluster fuck.. The floors in the machine have to be slanted to the front. The lower front
sheet metal falls straight down, instead of angled in. There are (I guess) wash down bars in the back
of the machine to move chips to the front. They then fall in a trough across the front of the machine,
and are washed to the left by coolant. They are then picked up by this big stupid giant drum, where they
are supposed to fall out on a chute at the top, and then slide down another trough into a barrel..

Its like a chip conveyor gone stupid.

Back