What's new
What's new

Fadal VMC 20 ATC Slide

dave morgan

Aluminum
Hello all,

Looking for some troubleshooting advice.

We have a VMC 20 that has not been used much in the last few years and today an issue with the ATC Slide was noticed.

The machine indexes and changes tool properly but the ATC slide motor continues to turn about 1/2 of a revolution after the slide is extended to the spindle causing the belt to slip and produce a ratcheting sound. On returning to the slide home position the motor only over travels slightly, maybe 1/16 of revolution.

The proximity sensors are sending signals to the 1060/J12 connections.

Anyone have any ideas where I should look next?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello all,

Looking for some troubleshooting advice.

We have a VMC 20 that has not been used much in the last few years and today an issue with the ATC Slide was noticed.

The machine indexes and changes tool properly but the ATC slide motor continues to turn about 1/2 of a revolution after the slide is extended to the spindle causing the belt to slip and produce a ratcheting sound. On returning to the slide home position the motor only over travels slightly, maybe 1/16 of revolution.

The proximity sensors are sending signals to the 1060/J12 connections.

Anyone have any ideas where I should look next?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
Whats slipping the belt on the clutch that moves the slide?
Be more specific with some pics.

The slide is moved via the belt and clutch on the right, there is a bracket if its loose or it moved it will cause that problem. for for slide position ONLY.

the other is a motor that spins you tool carousel that is different.

it sounds like the adjust is off on the L bracket as it can only go so far because it will hit spindle head, but it will go back short if its too far foward. tool changes will work ok if it goes to far for most machines.

Delw

Yes belt is slipping on the drive motor pulley. It is slipping because the the slide is fully extended but the motor continues to turn for another ½ revolution.

I did review the Fadal maintenance before posting but did not see anything that addressed the motor over run.

Just to confirm the slide adjustment, I moved the slide in both directions. When the slide is adjusted outboard the carousel does not fully engage the toolholder. When the slide is adjusted inboard the carousel collides with the spindle.
In both positions the drive motor still overruns causing belt slip and the ratcheting sound.

The actuating arm magnet is directly under the proximity sensor but the motor continues to turn for another ½ revolution. It appears that something is delaying the the pickup signal causing the motor to over run.

IMG_1419.jpgIMG_1418.jpgIMG_1417.jpgIMG_1416.jpg

Dave

Back