What's new
What's new

Machinability of 4140 Steel??

Rog/TN

Plastic
Any special considerations to turning or milling 4140 Steel? Have some 2" round cut offs I would like to experiment with. :confused:

4140 is very nice to machine and the pre-hardened version is a real winner for surface finish. Try 400 fpm for roughing, .020" feed and as big a DOC as you have horsepower for. I was doing .19" DOC in a 3" diameter pre-hardened bar while testing a new Iscar tool (.032 nose rad) and that was about the limit for my 10hp spindle. For finishing, take at least .010" DOC and increase the speed to 500 fpm. I like to finish with a .016" nose rad tool at .005" feed if I need to hold tolerances under .001". Your machine is obviously going to dictate how aggressive you can be but this would get you in the ballpark with similar set-up and conditions. Glenn.

I think if 1018 is @ 100%, then 4140 HT would be around 70%
(This does not mean that 1018 is nice to machine either, but 4140 IS)
I typically run around 500-600 sfm for ruffing, and 650-800 for finishing. (insert dependant)
The stuff machines beautifully!
Enjoy it.
Doug.

I 've never turned it on a lathe, but have milled quite a bit of 4140 plate on verticals and horizontal mills.I take .25 to .3 depth of cut at 850 to 900 rpm at 30 to35 ipm with a 2.0 dia iscar.I usually mill/drill at about 65 per cent feed and speed of mild steel.As mentioned earlier, the chips come off easy and it bores like a dream.

A little google fu shows that Elm and birch were the preferred wheel making wood since 3000BC or more. If it was good enough for ancient Egypt it will probably last a few thousand years. Of course if it gets wet you may cut a few thousands years off it's life span.
It will last longer if you are buried with your mower in a nice dry tomb. Probably outlast rubber tire by thousands of years.
Bil lD.

A little google fu shows that Elm and birch were the preferred wheel making wood since 3000BC or more. If it was good enough for ancient Egypt it will probably last a few thousand years. Of course if it gets wet you may cut a few thousands years off it's life span.
It will last longer if you are buried with your mower in a nice dry tomb. Probably outlast rubber tire by thousands of years.
Bil lD.
Lol, what the fuck Bill?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bil lD.

From what I remember they made their wheels from cedar. The Egyptian moths wouldn't eat it and most of all they loved the way it smelled. I'm pretty sure it was imported because I never seen any trees around any of the pyramids. King Tutankhamun got the whole cedar wheel thing started, he was a product of incest ya know. When they finally found and opened his tomb there was several cedar wheels found inside still intact. I remember seeing documentary about this on sesame street when I was a youngster.

Brent

Last edited:
From what I remember they made their wheels from cedar. The Egyptian moths wouldn't eat it and most of all they loved the way it smelled. I'm pretty sure it was imported because I never seen any trees around any of the pyramids. King Tutankhamun got the whole cedar wheel thing started, he was a product of incest ya know. When they finally found and opened his tomb there was several cedar wheels found inside still intact. I remember seeing documentary about this on sesame street when I was a youngster.

Brent

They got the cedar from what is now called Lebanon.

Back