What's new
What's new

Fadal vmc15 Trouble running large(2MB) program.

Shopman14

Plastic
New to me machine(Fadal VMC15): 1994/88HS/1405-A/422K ram. To run large programs, I bought an USB-interface box. I installed(right inside of the Control Panel Box(with amps, etc.) so as to eliminate cable issues. My controller can see my USB removable stick and the various programs on it. When I use the "DNC" command to run a program, all is good for the first 100-to-150 lines of the program. The spindle stops moving(while engaged with "NOT-work piece", as I'm testing "Cutting air")and the controller says "RS232 error" and other attempts says "DNC Error". My baud rate is 19,200. [When I first installed my USB-interface box, I ran the 3-meter cord from Control Box to Controller and worked my way through the various baud rates(making sure USB-interface box's baud equaled controller's baud rate)]
Kinda running out of things to try, okay, I did run out of things so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know absolutely nothing about Fadals, but if it was a Fanuc I would be checking the handshake as it sounds a little like it is outrunning the buffer.

Could try single blocking the first line or two and see if the DNC device overruns the buffer

Any chance your box can run the X-Modem protocol? On the Fadal Control you type "DNCX". That does several things. First is flow control, second is block checksumming. So if there is an error, the control tells the sender to re-send.

If you can't run X-Modem, then you need to make sure that compatible flow control (also called handshaking) is in place. Software flow control uses ASCII characters CONTROL-S and CONTROL-Q to stop and start the flow. Hardware flow controls uses signals on the RS-232 connector (like Request to Send, Clear to Send, etc). Both sides need to be able to support whatever flow control you select.

New to me machine(Fadal VMC15): 1994/88HS/1405-A/422K ram. To run large programs, I bought an USB-interface box. I installed(right inside of the Control Panel Box(with amps, etc.) so as to eliminate cable issues. My controller can see my USB removable stick and the various programs on it. When I use the "DNC" command to run a program, all is good for the first 100-to-150 lines of the program. The spindle stops moving(while engaged with "NOT-work piece", as I'm testing "Cutting air")and the controller says "RS232 error" and other attempts says "DNC Error". My baud rate is 19,200. [When I first installed my USB-interface box, I ran the 3-meter cord from Control Box to Controller and worked my way through the various baud rates(making sure USB-interface box's baud equaled controller's baud rate)]
Kinda running out of things to try, okay, I did run out of things so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just forget it, I bought same set-up and wont really work
I am getting away, breaking programs and rotating since i do
circular patterns, dnc in fadals suck,bad finish. need to run
in memory, better install 4 meg memory now cheap
the only good of the transfer thing is you carry the usb at
the machine to avoid cable from office "computer" to machine
i am doing surfacing fom memory 120 ipm in aluminum
but finish bad, hass they make better finish, parts that i cut
going to polishing after.

Cant comment on the box. just DNC and the Fadal.

The DNC has nothing to do with your finish, We have run programs up to 12 megs surfacing via DNC never had any issues with finish or program DNC'ing
The finish issue it more than likely operator error mainly and some mechanical error (thrust bearings). the 120 IPM a tad to fast for most fadals, 90imp is my comfortable range for finish work, on older box way machines with the old motors and drives. the 1999 and newer runs with the newer motors not an issue on finish at fast feeds even with boxed ways.
I also have a 2009 hass vf2ss and I'll put it up against my Fadals any day as far as finish and blows away the haas in depth of cut and rigidity, speed not so much as the tool changer alone makes a huge different.

until I got my fadal high memory cards we always DNC'd

My baud rate is 19,200.

In my limited exposure, there's no way a 1994 Fadal can DNC at a baud rate of 19,200. Try your program at 4,800 and if that works, maybe try 9,600. I bought my USB to RS-232 box from Highland DNC, and the support from Jerry getting it setup and running was fabulous. Jerry also gave me advice on getting rid of the "O" word program number, and any human readable comments in the file for DNC, and as well, not using line numbers, as the line numbers account for 25% of the characters being transmitted in a typical block. Hope this helps...

If you use a calmotion and DNC the file size does not matter. They are 399.00 dollars and worth it trust me
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1 for Calmotion. My first question reading this is “What interface box are you using?”. Calmotion has it’s quirks, sometimes it won’t recognize the USB. Leave the machine on for eight hours and it won’t take a program after idling and the machine must be switched on and off. But works seamlessly the majority of the time.

1997 3016L and ‘98 VMCxt works fine with 38,000 baud. I don’t believe this is a transmission speed issue. Definitely “usb interface” but not machine side. Dude above needs to re-learn writing, grammar and formatting let alone machining if he thinks file transfer speed is affecting his surface finish.

In my limited exposure, there's no way a 1994 Fadal can DNC at a baud rate of 19,200. Try your program at 4,800 and if that works, maybe try 9,600. I bought my USB to RS-232 box from Highland DNC, and the support from Jerry getting it setup and running was fabulous. Jerry also gave me advice on getting rid of the "O" word program number, and any human readable comments in the file for DNC, and as well, not using line numbers, as the line numbers account for 25% of the characters being transmitted in a typical block. Hope this helps...

I have a 1991 4020 that's been upgraded to the -4 control, and baud is set at 38400

Don't waste money on a Calmotion setup

get a cheap laptop or PC and use ONDNC from ONECNC which is free. It's seems to be called NClink, it's at the bottom of the page

CAD/CAM CNC | Downloads Page | OneCNC CAD/CAM Software

The advantage is you can edit programs on the Laptop/pc.

Or just send the programs from your pc you program on.

Bovine fences you might not like to do it that way but it works
And you don’t have to worry about a laptop

Bovine fences you might not like to do it that way but it works
And you don’t have to worry about a laptop

Sure, I hear it works just fine, and at $565 (fadalcnc) it should.

ITScnc seem to offer something similar for $395

If you want pay that kind of money for something that was made for $10-20 in China go ahead. I'll stick with the laptop.

+1 for the suggestion to lower the baud rate. On my 1400-2 control board, 9600+ baud is flaky, 4800 is bulletproof. Depending on how you program, the lower baud rate may or may not cause issues with sending code too slow for the machine to follow.
As far as the calmotion vs laptop debate, I think there are decent arguments for both sides. I am in the calmotion camp, although I use the ethernet version (LANCNC-FAD) rather than the USB version. I don't like having computers near the machines, and my office is very close to, but physically separated from, the machine shop. So it works well for me. Glenn at calmotion knows these machines really well and will provide personal support if you have trouble. I had some mysterious issues with a faulty serial card in my machine and he helped me work through them, even though ultimately it was not an issue with his product.

If I were going to put a laptop near the CNC, I'd look at getting a "GPD Micro", which is a tiny, sturdy laptop with built-in RS232. You could certainly use something older and cheaper, but this looks like a slick and compact setup.

Also, if you're doing surfacing or HSM-type adaptive toolpaths, make sure G8 is called at the start of your program. I think format 2 will do it by default but format 1 does not. It will get rid of stuttering (maybe part of Fadriver's problems). However, if you're starving the control of code (see low baud rate comment above), stuttering/slowing will still occur even if G8 is on.

I have the Highland DNC/Radio I think baud has to be 96.3
I really like it, have three machines on it and Jerry is always there if I need him.
One thing, when I expanded memory from ITSCNC, I was still using format 1.
The Format 1 will not take advantage of the memory expansion ( Which is absolutely necessary )
So, I finally went to format 2.
Format 1 is a little cleaner, especially if hand-writing code...
But can't use it and have lots of memory. Not a big issue to change.

Sure, I hear it works just fine, and at $565 (fadalcnc) it should.

ITScnc seem to offer something similar for $395

If you want pay that kind of money for something that was made for $10-20 in China go ahead. I'll stick with the laptop.

Sure and good luck finding a laptop with that rs what ever port that was obsolete 20 years ago
The most ignorant baboon in the world can get the cal motion box to work, and you don’t need a lap top
Even a cheap one coast money.
The same can’t be said for the cobbled USB adapter and a lap top.
Some times the adapter works and some of they don’t, never mind how reliable we know Microsoft OSs can be.

Ive run programs that run for 4 days straight drip feeding at over 250ipm. No problems. From a laptop with a SPECIFIC usb to rs232 adapter.
Sounds like you need to do maintenance work on the machine.

89b804d043bed0d9d124110f4372dd07.jpg
this block was from a calmotion drip feeding a 1999 Fadal 40 x20 a looks pretty damn good to me. A Fadal can cut tool steel. But it needs good code to do it
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back