What's new
What's new

Fadal VMC40 Spindle driver fault - servo amplifier fault

Hey all,
Came in this afternoon, turned on my Fadal, went to warm up the spindle and got a "SPINDLE DRIVER FAULT" with "SERVO AMPLIFIER FAULT" on the next line. All axes jog and move fine. Now, spindle most of the time doesn't start at all and the message "SPINDLE CONTROLLER OR DRIVER FAULT" scrolls on the display. A few times it has started spinning and immediately stopped, coasting to a stop from no more than 200 rpm.
Belts are in place and tight. Air is at 90 psi.
Anyone have any ideas? This is a new machine for me, and my first CNC, so I don't really know where to start. I also have no idea where the spindle amplifier is...
Last note: I have a Mitsubishi inverter FREQROL -Z300. The alarm light was on when I first checked. I reset the inverter and the light hasn't come back on.

Thanks,
Mat

Hey all,
Came in this afternoon, turned on my Fadal, went to warm up the spindle and got a "SPINDLE DRIVER FAULT" with "SERVO AMPLIFIER FAULT" on the next line. All axes jog and move fine. Now, spindle most of the time doesn't start at all and the message "SPINDLE CONTROLLER OR DRIVER FAULT" scrolls on the display. A few times it has started spinning and immediately stopped, coasting to a stop from no more than 200 rpm.
Belts are in place and tight. Air is at 90 psi.
Anyone have any ideas? This is a new machine for me, and my first CNC, so I don't really know where to start. I also have no idea where the spindle amplifier is...
Last note: I have a Mitsubishi inverter FREQROL -Z300. The alarm light was on when I first checked. I reset the inverter and the light hasn't come back on.

Thanks,
Mat

it could be the regen in the back if its bad. you can ohm it out.
if its not close to guessing its the drive.
what year is the machine? is the drive just as old as well?
I would check all your connections for tightness and if by chance your running a phase converter check to make sure your power is good and you have the machine tapped correctly for the voltage

it could be the regen in the back if its bad. you can ohm it out.
if its not close to guessing its the drive.
what year is the machine? is the drive just as old as well?
I would check all your connections for tightness and if by chance your running a phase converter check to make sure your power is good and you have the machine tapped correctly for the voltage

Machine and everything on it to my knowledge is 1992. I'll check the regen, thanks. I should have mentioned that the machine has been running great for a month or so. However, sometimes on cycle start the spindle will take a second to actually start spinning. Often there is a squeak, sounding like a belt, that goes along with the delayed start.

if the regen is at fault i could happen usually when widning down or re syncing for a tool change
dont forget to turn all power off when checking voltage

Back