What's new
What's new

Fadal VMC40 Y-Axis Ball Nut Installation

Hey All,
I did something foolish, which was to remove the Y-axis ball screw from the ball nut on my '92 VMC40. Now I've removed the ball nut, collected all the balls, and am trying to reassemble it. Inside the nut, there seem to be a couple ball catcher things that allow the balls to feed in and out of the ball nut housing onto the screw. At the last one (closest to the table) the screw wants to seize up and I can't get it to screw in all the way.
Is there a trick that I'm missing? I have the screw and nut out of the machine, with the screw vertical, ball nut threading down onto it, and I'm slowly feeding balls in.

Any help is always appreciated.
Thanks,
Mat

Hey All,
I did something foolish, which was to remove the Y-axis ball screw from the ball nut on my '92 VMC40. Now I've removed the ball nut, collected all the balls, and am trying to reassemble it. Inside the nut, there seem to be a couple ball catcher things that allow the balls to feed in and out of the ball nut housing onto the screw. At the last one (closest to the table) the screw wants to seize up and I can't get it to screw in all the way.
Is there a trick that I'm missing? I have the screw and nut out of the machine, with the screw vertical, ball nut threading down onto it, and I'm slowly feeding balls in.

Any help is always appreciated.
Thanks,
Mat

One thing to note I believe there should be two sizes of balls in the nut, they alternate sizes, one small/one big/one small/one big etc etc

In the past I've turned a Delrin rod the minor diameter of the screw, took the recirculation tubes off and reloaded the balls from there. Then carefully transferred the nut from the plastic to the screw.

Back