What's new
What's new

Fadal VS Haas programming

millNchill

Plastic
To make a long story short, I was supplied material, fixtures and programs from another shop to run in my Fadal with a CNCHS control in format 2 (Fanuc). The programs I received were Haas programs (using g53, etc).These parts are way beyond my modeling/cam capabilities, especially when i take into account the elaborate fixturing, so reprogramming is out of the question.

My question is will these Haas programs run without issue in my Fadal? If not, what codes will not work? Im hoping to be able to make some simple edits by hand and get them to run. Any advice is very greatly appreciated.

To make a long story short, I was supplied material, fixtures and programs from another shop to run in my Fadal with a CNCHS control in format 2 (Fanuc). The programs I received were Haas programs (using g53, etc).These parts are way beyond my modeling/cam capabilities, especially when i take into account the elaborate fixturing, so reprogramming is out of the question.

My question is will these Haas programs run without issue in my Fadal? If not, what codes will not work? Im hoping to be able to make some simple edits by hand and get them to run. Any advice is very greatly appreciated.

It will probably work but things like tapping and tool changes may be slightly different causing some issues.

Luckily there is no tapping involved. I Think it will work too, im just super skittish right now since COVID really wiped us out financially and I cant afford to make any repairs if things go haywire. I always worked with newer DMG Mori's, so I have very little experience with these old fadals, and to be honest they always make me nervous as hell.

The main difference I notice is the G53 as opposed to the fanuc G28

We used our Haas post for our Fadal(down at the moment) and it ran well besides changes for tapping(G84.1). I can't remember if it's in format 1 or 2 though. I'd run it high and see if there are any issues. If so swap formats and you should be good.

Oh yea run it in format 2. Also don’t worry it’s a Fadal not a dmg if something breaks its affordable not the end of the world heck for the price of a spindle drive on a Mazak you could just buy another Fadal.

There is really no difference other than
work offsets(but not really)
you need to toss in a g80 after canned cycles as for haas it isnt necc.
you may have to delete there tool stage call out if they have one in there for the haas unless there running a carosel.
canned cycles on sub programs are a tad different if I recall..

I run them every day between hass and fadals they can be change on the fly so to speak. the main cutting content is usually the same.
if you understand g code its no problem and can check a program in a few mins no matter how long it is.

Aweome this is super helpful. No subs so im good there, there is a couple drill cycles so I will take a look at that, both machines are umbrella type so no tool staging. Honestly Im not super great with gcode, but simple stuff i can handle. Im not really even a machinist, just happen to own a couple mills with a minimal skillset (only knew how to do what i needed to do), but apparently machining has been turning into a full time job for me the last few months. honestly never expected to be taking work from people so im working out the kinks now lol

Oh yea run it in format 2. Also don’t worry it’s a Fadal not a dmg if something breaks its affordable not the end of the world heck for the price of a spindle drive on a Mazak you could just buy another Fadal.

Oh i know parts are cheap, its the downtime that is valuable.

First off I wouldn't be overly concerned, it will most likely work.

But if you are freaked out. Just change the stuff at the tool changes.

Like change G53 to E0, and G54 to E1 if it makes you comfortable. And
however you return to Zzero. G0E0Z0.

Speeds, Feeds, G0,1,2,3 is all going to be the same. M3,4,5 will be the same.
For some reason my Flood coolant is M7 so I would have to change that, but
that's not a big deal either.

I would do a double check anywhere there is a canned cycle. And I would also
do a double check anywhere that cutter comp is called, make sure its the same,
and it most likely is.

Fadals are pretty tolerant running any type of FanucY code. G54 G55 etc... instead of E's
is no problem. Its completely happy with G28's if you like using those, I DO NOT.

G40,G41,G42 should all be the same. If the code has a G43 the Fadal can handle it.

make a copy of the original program and do what BobW said. I would take a small section of program you received and make the modifications and test run it. If the machine errors out make more modifications until it doesn't error out. Once you have what you need to run the test program modify the main program and test run it. I use notepad to go global edits to programs that run in different machines.

After loading your edited program in the Fadal, type "SUM" (enter) at the enter next command prompt,
you will see program error messages if there are problems with the code, If you see X0 Y0 Z0 your
good...

It will catch the obvious stuff (usually)

Back