What's new
What's new

Fadal X axis ballscrew lube path??

ripperj

Stainless
I have a VMC 20, I think it’s the same as most box way machines, the factory manual uses 4020 diagrams for most things.

I just rebuilt the saddle and table lube system.
- new manifold and flow orifices
- new flex hoses.
- I verified oil flow to the manifold on the saddle and used air to verify all the lines to the table and saddle were clear. As best I can tell they are all intact and not just blowing air out a broken line somewhere.

All ways seem to be getting plenty of lube.

I just installed a new Steinmeyer X axis screw , thrust bearings and coupler.

I wanted to verify clean oil flow from the nylon tube that feeds the ball nut.
I’m not seeing a single drop come out of the ballscrew tube, even when the other axis are obviously getting lube.

I blew air from the ball nut side and can hear air escaping somewhere by the rear x box way.

The ballscrew oil tube is pretty short and is intact. It goes to the rear of the table and appears to get fed from the oil path along the rear gib???
Anyone really know?

Maybe I just needs to be more patient, it would be a long path to get to the ball nut?( and blowing air backwards just pushes any oil that started up the path back out)

If I was just to put a grease fitting on the ball nut and use Kluber grease, how often would it need grease running 20hrs a week?

Thanks men

If my son wasn’t in college I would have just bought a new machine :)

Edit- I also wonder — does the table have to be centered or in a certain spot?? If the path really is from the rear box way , I have been looking at the ball nut tube with the table max X +, which has lots of the rear table box way oil grooves exposed.
Seems like a lousy design if it goes to the ways first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never mind
I just spoke with Steinmeyer, they were pretty adamant about using way lube for the ball screw as less than ideal, I’m going to use grease.

Most of the Kluber applications I have seen are pretty productive grease wise, I would probably grease at least once a week if your only running it 20 hours but every ten would be better. I have seen hardinge manuals suggest a lot longer interval with Kluber, but not knowing exactly which model your using I would err on the side of caution

I see recommendations all over the place , even on the Steinmeyer site they say 2-4 times per year depending on which seals and original grease charge. Seems like a long time.
I guess they probably know best

Back