What's new
What's new

Fake Sandvik Inserts

dexta

Aluminum
Good Day to everyone
just wondering if anyone had the same experience. We buy some inserts on ebay, and up to now all ware genuine. Last 2 months we noticed some really low prices on the Sandvik 1030 grade insets. Bought a box to try and surprise didn;t last even 10 min in 4340 .. Pure scam.. Any 2 cents from other users?

regards

Good Day to everyone
just wondering if anyone had the same experience. We buy some inserts on ebay, and up to now all ware genuine. Last 2 months we noticed some really low prices on the Sandvik 1030 grade insets. Bought a box to try and surprise didn;t last even 10 min in 4340 .. Pure scam.. Any 2 cents from other users?

regards

You take your chances with Ebay stuff. I'm sure there are a LOT of scammers on there.
Do you not have a local Sandvik rep to deal with?

I've bought a lot of inserts on eBay and have had good luck. For me, to avoid the counterfeits, I look at what else the seller has available. If they have a lot of other tooling available (holders, indexables, etc.), it's a good indicator that they're most likely going to auctions and flipping the stuff. Not to say I've never been burned, but it's been very few and far between.

Tony

I sell some surplus tooling on Ebay. I have noticed just in the last few months a flood of Sandvik listings and other brands from China for half or less the going rate I normally see on ebay. Looking close I see the pictures seem doctored and other goofy things going on. So it's no surprise to me you got counterfeits. If it's in the USA or a eastern european country you should be safe. I know people that get a bunch of brand new Sandvik stuff from Bulgaria, Germany & Poland via ebay and its legit.

I had to dbl check the date on this thread.
I am sure that we had this same subject and almost the same original post come up ... 6 months ago?

Point being - apparently it's not just "the last 2 months"....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

some places save insert boxes and put other inserts in them and resell.
some places take used batteries and put in a box and sell as new batteries
some places have defective stuff put in scrap lugger and somebody else takes it out of the trash and tries to sell as good stuff
Kodak had single use cameras when film developed there was a different companies film in them. somebody saved used camera and reloaded cheaper film in them and try to sell as a Kodak single use camera with kodak film
just about any way to make money somebody has tried. like milk with plastic chemical added to fool test on milk quality that was diluted with water

Our Sandvik rep and I spoke about this last week. They have/had a huge issue with fake inserts over the last few years. Sandvik actually pulled a factory out of china because they found the Chinese had duplicated their manufacturing process elsewhere. Not the first time I had heard of that. I worked at one time for a major medical implant manufacturer and they opened a plant in China because it was mandatory to produce there if you wanted to sell there. Well, lo and behold, the Chinese had duplicated the whole factory, lock, stock and barrel, a few hundred miles away. So, my Sandvik rep says do not take the chance buying off places like Ebay to save a few bucks because you really aren't saving anything. In the long run, it will cost you more.

Paul

Our Sandvik rep and I spoke about this last week. They have/had a huge issue with fake inserts over the last few years. Sandvik actually pulled a factory out of china because they found the Chinese had duplicated their manufacturing process elsewhere. Not the first time I had heard of that. I worked at one time for a major medical implant manufacturer and they opened a plant in China because it was mandatory to produce there if you wanted to sell there. Well, lo and behold, the Chinese had duplicated the whole factory, lock, stock and barrel, a few hundred miles away. So, my Sandvik rep says do not take the chance buying off places like Ebay to save a few bucks because you really aren't saving anything. In the long run, it will cost you more.

Paul

know a company defective stuff suppose to be trashed somebody else took out of the trash and sold it as good stuff
i know Chinese they buy Nike shoes from the USA and have them sent to China. why cause fakes can be so good you cannot tell
by the way i heard of olive oil being fake or diluted in USA its not just a China thing

in China its like $200 to have plastic injection mold made and have just about any type of box made and printed with just printing about anything you want. plastic like $200 a ton makes a lot of boxes

Yeah, sad to say I've been bitten by this as well. Bought 5 boxes of CNMG-432 PM 4325.

Tool life was 10% of an actual Sandvik made insert. We compared the packaging to an actual Sandvik box and there are definite differences (cutting data font and at the bottom on the back, there should be a warning but there's just a number and "made in india")

In my case it was $130, which I don't expect to get back. I sent the seller a message and will get paypal/ebay involved if I can/need to but like I said, probably won't go anywhere.

The molds for the inserts are clearly the same, or identical, but the ingredients of the carbide and coatings for sure are different.

Paul

I heard the same sort of story about a Welder MFG here in Minnesota who opened a plant in China and discovered about 2 years later they had opened an exact copy of his plant and after he spent months there teaching the employees how to, the Chinese partners (Government) moved his people to their copy cat plant and started to produce exact copies of his welder and sold them at Harbor Freight. Another way they copy our intellectual properties. Honesty is not the best policy for them it seems.

A hard lesson we have had to learn the hard way.

Last edited:
I know a guy that had a full art foundry, he decided the artists had too many drinking and drug problems (surprise surprise) so he sent the molds to china for casting. 6 months later he found the same pieces for sale at some place like pottery barn.

We compared the packaging to an actual Sandvik box and there are definite differences (cutting data font and at the bottom on the back, there should be a warning but there's just a number and "made in india")

Made in india? Somehow I hope that you bought them from china. And that the chinese are labeling the junk "made in india"

Another way they copy our intellectual properties. Honesty is not the best policy for them it seems.
Imaginary property ? Like everything the US stole from England ? A little late in the game to get so righteous, isn't it, Mr Thief ?

If they didn't want to sell in China, then don't make it in China. It's no secret. Or if you DO want to sell your stuff in China and you DO want to take advantage of cheap costs, then use your fucking brain to protect yourself like every other company that makes stuff in China does.

It's a good thing the Wild West was over a hundred years ago, when 'murricans weren't such lamby-pies.

If you stick to own label chinese inserts a lot of them are actually pretty dang cost effective and reliable for like less than half the sandvick price tag. If you want to pay less than a dollar a insert well, you will be disappointed, but my experience of the circa $20-$30 a box range there a damn cost effective way of buying cutting edges. Yep life may still not be as long as name brand, but on a cost - corner life span, for me at least it works out vary favourably. Most of my carbide tooling both inserted and solid is from china these days, fed up with paying greedy British or American middle men huge mark ups for the same products.

Back