img_2730.jpg
    img_2732.jpg
    img_2733.jpg

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Estop could be door enclosure lock or if the machine was hooked up to a barfeeder and now not?
    The 071 alarm is a file compare. I robbed this explanation from the web:-

The 071 alarm means that the control is trying to COMPARE the data that's coming in with a program that's already in memory. The compare function is active only when the memory protect key switch is turned on. Turn the key switch off, and the 071 alarm shouldn't happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Barbter, I did read that explanation last night when fiddling with it. Having the Write Protect key in either position doesn't appear to change anything. No bar feeder on machine previously, nor door interlocks which is curious. Not sure if the machine was painted before being commissioned or before the auction, but I'll check again for signs of interlocks (not even the electrical cabinet has them).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will need a wiring diagram to more easily trace the e-stop problem.

P/S alarms are program and operational errors. IIRC having BP/S indicates that the error is while in Background Edit mode

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Machine is Alive, Hobbling Along

Delving into this today, I found that a few of the connectors into the IO were switched from what they were labelled as. Adjacent connectors being swapped. Switching these connections around and swapping two phases when the hyd pump was obviously trying to suck, and the machine works with the persistent E-stop alarm.

The E-stop alarm can be overridden while the E-stop Release button is depressed. Doing this, the machine will accept MDI programs, spindle speeds, chuck clamp, zero return, manual tool changes etc. All control buttons are correct and correspond to their LED's.

I've traced the E-stop wiring to the main 24 VDC bus from the E-stop Switch, approx. 14 gauge, and a much smaller gauge wire from the bus bar to the connector on the IO. Upon inspection of the board everything appears in good order on the IC, traces are clean and continuous, no burnt surface mount components. It's beyond my education and experience to troubleshoot the board at the component level other than checking caps and resistor specs vs. actual readings.

I have a single wire coming from the E-stop to the IO. How would one proceed to trouble shoot this? There is an open circuit somewhere.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC Mech View Post
    ......The E-stop alarm can be overridden while the E-stop Release button is depressed. ......
    This is typically a solid indication that an axis is on a hard overtravel limit switch or you have a hard overtravel stuck on.

7. Likes RC Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    This is typically a solid indication that an axis is on a hard overtravel limit switch or you have a hard overtravel stuck on.
    Alright so there are the three dogs and switches per axis, OVER SOFT +, OVER SOFT - and the HOME dog. I ran the axes to their soft limits, all is well. Tomorrow I'll disconnect them and see what happens. Is that an appropriate course of action?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alright so there are the three dogs and switches per axis, OVER SOFT +, OVER SOFT - and the HOME dog. I ran the axes to their soft limits, all is well. Tomorrow I'll disconnect them and see what happens. Is that an appropriate course of action?
    Soft limits on your machine are 99.5% likely to be parameter set and the switches that are labeled over soft are really hard overtravels and all wired in series in the E-stop circuit using NC contacts in the switches.

A wiring diagram would tell you this in a moment and illustrates why I advise folks to not buy a used machine unless they get or can get an electrical diagram.

10. Likes RC Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Vanc, you have been most helpful. I agree entirely with your sentiment RE: wiring diagrams and parameters. This is what we have to work with.

So it may help anyone in the future: "Racer Machinery" in Cambridge, Ontario, resells lathes under their name and owns the Standard Modern trademark. What was once an excellent machine tool name unfortunately is now part of a company that refuses to support their machinery. Racer has been nothing short of useless in this endeavour, either by intention or by ignorance as they may not even have been the original MTB (Taiwan). We would not consider a new purchase from Racer given their lack of support for relatively late model products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recommending trolling eBay listings, past and present, to try and find something that resembles your lathe, then you might find a clue to the actual MTB.

13. Likes RC Mech liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    I recommending trolling eBay listings, past and present, to try and find something that resembles your lathe, then you might find a clue to the actual MTB.
    Good call Perry.
    OP - have you asked the supplier if their records show who made the machine for them?
    I'm sure it's not a Colchester/Clausing (UK) or a King Rich (Taiwan) or WeeFar (spelling - China, they make the XYZ 1630 Prototrak - good machine) because of the tailstock shape and style.
    If you can google pics and find the tailstock, this will lead to the MTB...

15. Likes RC Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lathe is Fully Functional

Thank you to all who replied here, it is immensely appreciated. The lathe is currently fully functional. What I did is the following:

In my previous reply outlining getting closer to figuring out the issues with the control, Vanc pointed to the limit switches, which were megged and the last one on Z showed a faulty switch. The over-travel on Z toward spindle end. Jumpering the two wires together cleared the E-stop alarm. Minor hydraulic fixes and setting up the prox switches on the chuck drawtube to close at the appropriate travel, and the machine works without issues.

As I'll likely be the only one using the machine we can live without that limit switch. Carriage would hit the chuck before the limit engaged in any case.

Racer was tight-lipped on who their Taiwanese vendors were (understandably so, as then anyone could buy a machine and slap their name on it...)

Thanks again to those who replied.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Nice job bringing it back from the dead!

Switches are not very expensive. If it were me, I'd go like you are planning and look for and buy a switch. Then install it when you get a chance. That way if you ever pull the chuck to use a collet or something, you'll still have that extra protection. Sometimes running the nut to the end of the screw will wreck it. Better to not risk that on a machine that may be hard to get parts for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Racer was tight-lipped on who their Taiwanese vendors were (understandably so, as then anyone could buy a machine and slap their name on it...)

Thanks again to those who replied.
    LOL, I don't think anyone else wants to slap Racer's name on an import lathe...

19. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, well done for resurrection!
    If you ever discover who the MTB is, please update.