What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0M on Chiron FZ-28L need parameter to set tool in spindle

Doug Overkill

Plastic
We have a 1994 Chiron FZ-28L with a 40 tool carousel and a Fanuc 0Mc control. It's a German built machine my company had shipped over 18+ years ago, so the documentation is a little lacking.

Our issue all started 3 days ago after a fail during a tool change which occasionally happens. One of the many air cylinders involved in the tool change does not register that it completed a move and then the tool change times out. During the manual process of completing the tool change a M57 (delete spindle tool) was commanded (by accident). Now the machine does not know what tool is in the spindle. How do I set this?

After I walk all the steps through the unfinished tool change so it is ready to use. I then command a M06 T02 in MDI mode. It will go and pull tool 2 from the carousel and put it in the spindle. The tool coming out of the spindle never gets put back in the carousel. The carousel just goes around and around and never stops at the correct spot to put away that tool. I have stopped this process and manually completed the putting away of that tool into the carousel. And since I just had the machine put tool 2 into the spindle I hoped it would know that. It does not. When I command another tool change M06 T03, the machine pulls t03 out of the carousel and places it in the spindle. It then doesn't put t02 away. So either it can't remember the carousel spots, which is weird because it does go to the right spot when pulling tools out, or it can't remember the tool in the spindle which is what I think is going on.

Anyone have any ideas? I hope someone knows what parameter to set on this control to set the Tool number.

I’m working from memory here, but I think it’s 440 Or D440 something like that. I can confirm for you when I get in the shop in the am. I have it written down as it happens on ours often.

I’m working from memory here, but I think it’s 440 Or D440 something like that. I can confirm for you when I get in the shop in the am. I have it written down as it happens on ours often.

Can confirm which parameter you use to reset tool in spindle and how. I would greatly appreciate any guidance. Both Parameter 440 and Diagnostic 440 are currently set to all zero's (00000000) on my machine.
Thanks,
Doug

Have written diagnostic-440=spindle tool #. I seem to remember it being a data parameter and not an 8 bit parameter. I could be wrong haven’t had it lock up in a couple of years. Index turret/pot tool to T1 and make D440 read 0000001

To clarify we don’t have a Chiron but we have Fanuc OM’s. Thanks for your help.

The assignment of what Diagnostic is used to track the tool in the spindle is determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc.

D400 is the beginning of a data table area of Diagnostic parameters on the 0 series controls. Some builders use that table to track tool positions but it is not universal.

I am constantly amazed at how many CNC users have no clue about how the control and machine interact and what is determined by Fanuc and what is determined by the machine builder.

I am constantly amazed at how many CNC users have no clue about how the control and machine interact and what is determined by Fanuc and what is determined by the machine builder.
I stand corrected. By no means an expert or tech just trying to help.

solved Chiron tool change M57 - delete spindle tool

SOLVED - here is what we learned in case it helps any one else down the road.

Our issue all started after a fail during a tool change which YES, occasionally happens. One of the many air cylinders involved in the tool change does not register that it completed a move and then the tool change times out. During the manual process of completing the tool change a M57 (delete spindle tool) was commanded (by accident). Now the machine does not know what tool is in the spindle. How do I set this?

After I walk all the steps through the unfinished tool change so it is ready to use. I then command a M06 T02 in MDI mode. It will go and pull tool 2 from the carousel and put it in the spindle. The tool coming out of the spindle never gets put back in the carousel. The carousel just goes around and around and never stops at the correct spot to put away that tool. I have stopped this process and manually completed the putting away of that tool into the carousel. And since I just had the machine put tool 2 into the spindle I hoped it would know that. It does not. When I command another tool change M06 T03, the machine pulls t03 out of the carousel and places it in the spindle. It then doesn't put t02 away. So either it can't remember the carousel spots, which is weird because it does go to the right spot when pulling tools out, or it can't remember the tool in the spindle which is what I think is going on.

SO after several days off learning and deciphering the Fanuc 0M ladder logic…

The 8 digit values in these parameters are the binary form of the hex code of the tool number
Tool 1 = 00000001 Tool 2 = 00000010 Tool 19 = 00011001 Tool 39 = 00111001
Hex to binary converters found online

These are the relevant Parameter found on the Diagnostics section of the parameters.
F0153 = Last T # commanded
D0380 = Next Tool # to Load
D0381 = Tool # in Spindle TO SOLVE THE M57 ISSUE – SET THIS TO SAME VALUE AS D0380
D0382 = Tool # Commanded – to/from carousel TO SOLVE THE M57 ISSUE – SET THIS TO SAME VALUE AS D0380
D0383 = Tool # in Arm 1 - Temp parameter to move tool number from D0388 to D0381 or D0382
D0384 = Tool # in Arm 2 - Temp parameter to move tool number from D0388 to D0381 or D0382
D0388 = Tool pot in carousel
D0399.0 = This value turns to 0 when idiots type in M57
D0399.1 = seems to be latched to D0399.0
D0399.2 = setting to 1 is same as entering M57 in M88 mode = bad
D0399.3 = Tool function strobe

The solution to our issue was to populate D0380 & D0381 with the same value as in D0380 before commanding a tool change. Once I did this one time the machine was able to populate these variables for each subsequent tool change. Prior these stay as all zero's and this is why the machine did not 'know' where to put away the last used tool.

Thanks to all who tried to help.
Doug

Back