What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0T Alarm 408

shanghyd

Aluminum
I'm working on a lathe that was known to have problems. Previous owner could not get it to power up. It's been a long process with little gains at a time.
I was able to get the lathe under power. I entered the parameters and now have the error 1005 Emergency Stop, and 408 Servo Alarm.
The history of what I have done some far is this.
When I first powered the lathe up the boards in the cabinet lit up. Pilot lights on all the boards showed they were getting power.
The A/C servo spindle board lit up.(A16B-2201-0440) The LED display on the board lit up.
There was a problem with the CRT. A little troublshooting with the cables and memory board resolved the CRT error.
Now the lathe will power on, the CRT lights up and the 408 and 1005 errors are showing on the screen.
I have no power to the spindle board. There are test pins at the top of the board. They are not reading anything. Does anyone know where the board gets it's power in? The whole thing is like a 3 board sandwich. A16B-2201-0440 sits on top. It's linked to A16B-2100-0070 with a ribbon cable, and that board is connected to A20B-1005-019 through some pins. All the fuses on the three boards are good.

Fanuc 005.jpg073.jpg

The 1005 error means E-Stop button has been pushed in. Twist it so it pops out and see if error 1005 goes away.

My manual says:

"408 Spindle Serial Link Start Fault.

1. Improperly connected optic cable or spindle control unit's power is off.

2. When nc power was turned on under alarm conditions other than SU-01 or AL-24 which are shown on the LED display of the spindle control unit.
In this case, turn the spindle amplifier power off once and perform startup again.

3. Other reasons (improper combination of hardware). This alarm does not occur after the system including the spindle control unit is activated."

The control power wires should be on a 3 place terminal strip labeled R, S, T. On my machine(which doesn't anything like your board) they are on the bottom left of the top board. The 3 fuses are at the top left of the bottom board. Could the red, white and black wires in the lower right of your picture be the control power wires??

I have a 1993 Fanuc OT and don't even get that alarm if I hit the E-stop. All blown fuses and tripped breakers just show "Not Ready". I have a two board stack with X and Z combined and the spindle drive is completely separate and a Fuji electric component. Did you check all the breakers and relays in the cabinet? You should list make and model of machine, you may get lucky and someone else here has one. My machine also has two power supplies.

I have a 1993 Fanuc OT and don't even get that alarm if I hit the E-stop.

The meaning and cause(s) for alarm 1005 is totally determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc.

A quick look at the ladder diagram and electrical schematics will lead one to the potential causes of alarm 1005.

The meaning and cause(s) for alarm 1005 is totally determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc.

A quick look at the ladder diagram and electrical schematics will lead one to the potential causes of alarm 1005.

I don't have any documents for this machine. well, I do have the parameters. It's a Bridgeport Romi Centur 35E lathe with 8 tool turret. I reached out to Romi and asked for any documentation they have for this lathe.
Is there a way to display the ladder diagram at the console? Or output it to a computer?

I don't have any documents for this machine. well, I do have the parameters. It's a Bridgeport Romi Centur 35E lathe with 8 tool turret. I reached out to Romi and asked for any documentation they have for this lathe.
Is there a way to display the ladder diagram at the console? Or output it to a computer?

Post a picture of the console. On my machine hitting the diagnostic/parameter button and using the soft keys gets you to the ladder.

Way too fuzzy but on a guess on the panel to the right of the CRT there are 8 blue buttons of which there is an up arrow and down arrow to the left, next to those is probably the diagnostic/parameter button among the 6 blue buttons. Hit that one and see what happens, keep pushing till the ladder shows up. Don't worry you can't hurt anything by hitting buttons. The soft keys are the 7 gray buttons under the CRT.

Here is a better stock photo.
I have hit the DGNOS PARAM button and the screen has changed a few times, but I don't know what to look for.
What should I look for?

Fanuc0tKeyboard.jpg

Google "Ladder Diagram",and how to read them. Sorry, I have satellite internet that drops out frequently on weekends.

I'll get some pictures of the screens. I recognize the parameter screens because I had to manually input the parameters. The ladder screen I don't recall seeing.

Pressing the diagnostic/parameter button 4 times gets mine to the ladder, your results may vary. Reading the ladder off the CRT without a book is a PITA as far as I am concerned, yet others are ok with it. You should be able to do a number search once you get to the ladder.

Well that didn't go well. The only thing my ladder diagram shows is the attached photo.
I had to set bit #2 of parameter 0060 to 1 then the ladder diagram would show up.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 426
What happened to the ladder and schematic documentation? Without those you will be very much SOL in trying to get, or keep, an old machine running.

Might be worth a try to start a new thread with something like "Ladder and schematic for Romi Centur lathe". Maybe someone with the same machine would see that and work out a deal to get you a copy.

I’ve seen this error 408 before when drilling deep 1.2” holes. The fix was shutting down the control and breaker on the cabinet. Upon restarting the control hold down PQ and cancel at the same time. Hold it until your panel is fully up and running if it throws the 408 again then you gotta start digging. This was for a milling machine but the controls are almost identical

What happened to the ladder and schematic documentation? Without those you will be very much SOL in trying to get, or keep, an old machine running.

Might be worth a try to start a new thread with something like "Ladder and schematic for Romi Centur lathe". Maybe someone with the same machine would see that and work out a deal to get you a copy.

The lathe came without them. The previous owner did not have them. I'm contacting Romi. I have the parameters so far.

The lathe came without them. The previous owner did not have them. I'm contacting Romi. I have the parameters so far.

Are you talking about the electrical ladder diagram book or the ladder in the machine? From your pic it looks like the ladder in the machine is missing or corrupt. You might have better luck calling Fanuc they are usually pretty helpful giving free advice. Find out what board the ladder is stored on that could be the root of all your evils.

The lathe didn't come with any books. The lathe boots up fine, right up to the errors. The latest error has to do with the switches for the sensors at the spindle gear switches. One is manual, the other is in the hydraulic cylinder. I haven't had a chance to check that out yet. I know there is a twist handle on the front for High and Low, but that is all I have so far.

Back