What's new
What's new

Fanuc 11T won't turn on

isaac338

Cast Iron
I have a Mori Seiki SL3 lathe with a Fanuc 11 control. I was running a bunch of parts today and in the middle of a cut the control shut off completely, like if someone pressed the "off" button.

If you press "on" the MCC pulls in but there's no display on the CRT. The master board LCD reads 8 but is blinking very rapidly.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a power unit that's shorted or dead - the blinking LCD makes it seem like it's powering up the master board and then immediately dying over and over.

"Display 8.
Description: RAM check
Repair: Check power supply, Clear memory and reload parameters, Replace Master Board"

What's your volts at?

5 volt bus at 5.00? I bet it isn't.

I haven't checked the voltages of the power unit yet because I don't have a steady enough hand to not short things or get shocked - tomorrow I'll borrow a set of mini clip leads and check those voltages.

Ok, tested up the power unit and the voltages are all over the place. The +5 line is at 2 VDC, the +24, +24E, and +15 are all at under a volt, and the -15 is at -10 VDC.

I'm assuming I need a power unit. Is this a safe assumption?

Ok, tested up the power unit and the voltages are all over the place. The +5 line is at 2 VDC, the +24, +24E, and +15 are all at under a volt, and the -15 is at -10 VDC.

I'm assuming I need a power unit. Is this a safe assumption?

Yes.

A tenth of a volt on the 5V bus makes a difference. NFW it's going to run like that.

Back