What's new
What's new

Fanuc 16i-T Engage C Axis

Ishtar

Plastic
Hi all,

Machine is a Hardinge Quest 8/51 XYZCC lathe with Fanuc 16i-T.

I'm trying to manually write a program to do some simple X/Y milling with driven tooling however I'm struggling to get the C axis to do anything at all in MDI mode.

Simple command, I want to do G00 C180. I keep getting the alarm "197 C-axis commanded in spindle mode"

I cannot see an M code in the manual to engage the C axis, and I've tried everything that might be related. Every other version of Fanuc seems to have an "engage C axis" M code except this one!

I'm still learning so it's completely possible I'm just missing something fundamental.

M codes are specific to the machine, rather than the control. They usually try to keep the major codes similar to what everyone else is doing, but the minor ones are all over the place. The two machines I've run recently use M50/M51 (Fanuc 18i, Hanwah Swiss) and M34/M35 (Fanuc model?, Doosan lathe) to turn the C axis on and off. On some machines, leaving the MDI screen will turn the C axis back off, so try to do everything in one shot.

Don't forget the decimal point after the angle. Just like X/Y/Z, it will default to 0.0180 degrees without it.

Good luck.

I think my Hardinge Elite has an M-code for C-axis engage. I can check when I get back to work on Monday.

If you don't really need the C-axis and are just using X and Y, you might be able to just program G00 B180. That will index and lock the spindle, and can be done in spindle mode. At least, that's how it works on my Elite.

Thanks guys, I've tried all the M codes that refer to the main spindle with the decimal places, no luck there. I don't seem to have a B button on my control panel, but yes, for this program I just need the index rather than an actual C axis function. I will need the C axis in future though.

Edit: a thought occurred to me. M23 is main spindle contouring mode, so I tried this:

M23;
G00 C180.000;

And it worked! The missing piece of the puzzle was the end block after the M word.

Last edited:
That is the same as the Elite.
M23 to engage C-axis
M24 back to spindle turning mode

Back